Eagle Rip 4.0 Problem.....

I've been trying to get a question answered about my Eagle RIP 4.0 and was not getting any answers. I'll explain as clearly as possible the problem.. We just installed the rip about a month ago and we were having problems with plates not holding the image, like it wasn't getting enough exposure and after looking closely at the film we could see very fine lines running thru the type where it should be clear. That was at 2400 dpi, so we went down to 600 dpi and the lines appeared really bad and was unusable. So to alleviate this problem we set the res. to 3000 dpi and it is almost undetectable on the plates, although it can very slightly be seen in the film with a glass. This seems to be coming from the rip as test page sent from the Accuset was fine. We previously had an Agfa Viper Rip and didn't see the same problem with it. We even went back to it to confirm the problem wasn't coming from the imagesetter. I've forwarded e-mails to Founders on their home page and have got NO response from them. I'm hoping this isn't an interface card problem, I've reseated everything, cleaned contacts etc. Its running on a dell server 2003 with 2gb of ram . If I could alleviate this problem I think this rip could serve us well, as we only need this for greyscale output and simple color seps. Anyone?

I had a similar problem - it was a faulty interface card. The local dealer here in Europe replaced it with a new one from another kit and since then it's been OK.

Does this sound like the same symptoms? The RIP runs fine and we've had no problems setting it up but we just can't get rid of the fine lines in the type. It certainly is not coming from the imagesetter as test pages from it only, look good. likewise from an old RIP we have here, (Postscript 2) and I don't have any problems. Do you remember having to pay for a replacement card and if so how much? I hope I don't have to go that route, but maybe knowing now would soften the blow.. Thanks

Replacement card

Replacement card

No, it was a new installation so the RIP was still under warranty.

If your RIP has TIFF output capability you could output a composite TIFF or separated TIFF. View the file and see if the lines are in the output. If so, then the RIP is causing the issue. If you do not get lines but reRIP the same TIFF file and/or similar file but output to the imagesetter or CTP device and get the same results then you have an interface card or cable issue that would need to get resolved. It sounds like you have already ruled out the output device because self tests print fine. Check to make sure the interface is seated in the computer securely. If it is then you may want to check on a different interface.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back