edge printing on Xerox V280

YourCastle

Some of my clients send me 8.5"x11" prints without bleed. I normally just reduce the file to 96% and get good enough white margins. A teammate didn't reduce, printed as-is and client noticed that one margin was about twice the size as the opposite side.

I always thought that the margins wouldn't be the same due to however the machine runs the paper through, but my boss is asking me to fix it.

Does the v280 or other machines print even white margins on full-bleed sheets (without the bleed) and I need to dig into the settings to adjust placement/alignment or am I chasing a rainbow here? I would tell my team to reduce to 96%, but they only print once a month when I take a day off and they'll forget.

tahnks for your thoughts!

Back when I was operating a V180, It was the same as you are describing. The margins were never equal. I always just shrank the art to match that larger margin and all was fine.

Back when I was operating a V180, It was the same as you are describing. The margins were never equal. I always just shrank the art to match that larger margin and all was fine.
Thanks!

I'm wondering if there is a setting/adjustment that I can make which would make my team and clients happy?

All you can do is create a paper/alignment profile for that particular substrate. If it's still goofy, call your tech and ask the question. Assuming you have a service contract.

It's super common for the margins to not be even. Sometimes it will bleed or almost bleed on one side. There might be some adjustments you or the tech can do, but I've seen it happen on Xerox, Canon and KM printers, so it's not unique to your equipment.

I haven't used a Fiery in a long time, but I recall there being margin settings buried somewhere in the settings.

If the other staff can't remember a simple reduction what makes you think they'll bother with custom profile settings.
You could make a hot folder with reduction settings and pin it on the left hand side, and they could drag and drop files in there. But yeah Pippip is right, if your staff doesn't know how to reduce. Maybe a gigantic red sign next to the printer that says

"IF THE COLOR GOES TO THE EDGE MAKE SURE YOU SHRINK THE JOB TO 97% OR ELSE IT WILL LOOK FUNNY"

Right way to solve the problem is to fix the bleeds for your customer, but I think baby steps for your fellow employees is a good idea.

I have this happen even when I run the alignment for the stock. I’ll go into Command Work Station and nudge the image one way or the other using image shift and selecting mm for units. The other thing I do is reduce the page enough to leave a larger margin 3/8”, that way the small difference in margin thickness is not as noticeable.

It doesn't help this situation but Sharp says their Pro Series BP-90C70 and BP-90C80 light production models “expand on the exclusive edge-to-edge printing capabilities, simplifying full-bleed printing applications from statement size full-bleed booklets to letter size, pamphlets, long paper and more!”

Or you could just not take any days off. :)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back