EFI ColorXF-Drop Shadows Poorly

Hello All,

I have an issue that has been coming and going for some time relating to our EFI proofer rip. Drop shadows created in CS4 AI, when proofed on Epson 9800, come to an abrupt or hard stop on the print yet the file looks fine. Set same file to another printer through same EFI proofer rip and got a different result which looked much better. Can this be a profile issue or ink set issue that is causing the problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Check your rendering intent. If you have performed an optimization and a paper white simulation is visible, switching to relative colorimetric may "harm" your gradients or drop shadows.

I would say that it is a linearization/calibration problem. Also I might be wrong but is there a setting in EFI hotfolder for where the color should start. I mean for certain print conditions you might need to drop for example 1 and 2% points, which would do the kind of problem you described.

I second caveman's comment. This especially true if you have optimized using an ABS rend intent but your workflow is set to relative, then this is likely the culprit. There is the option to define the first printable dot that Johu mentioned but by default this should be 0. What version of the RIP are you running. If it's 4.1 you have the option of suppressing paper white when doing and optimization which might reduce the harshness of the drop shadow. If you are not using an optimization then how much variation do you have between your simulation profile and your paper white?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back