electrostatic plates?

RawDog

Turns out that in all the "stuff" that came with the purchase of our Chief 17, there is a box of 'Electrostatic Plates" by AM Multigraphics. There are also a couple of boxes of Charger Wire Assembly by IWATSU Electric Co. I think go with those plates.

For our future shop we have a vacuum table and an old Plate Burner (works). We just got an electic paper cutter and an HP 5000N. We're getting poly plates this next week (and a plate punch, I can't believe they are so expensive).

So, with what we have, can we use these electrostatic plates? If not, how much are they worth to put on EBay or Craigslist (if at all, shelf life?)? And are the Charger Wire Asseblies worth anything? I know nothing about the Electrostatic process, does it need chemicals? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Niki

Forget about the Electrostatic Plates. We used them in the 1960's and 70's. The require an electrostatic plate maker special fountain solutions and were ment for duplicator type work.

They are not worth anything.:)

DanB

Turns out that in all the "stuff" that came with the purchase of our Chief 17, there is a box of 'Electrostatic Plates" by AM Multigraphics. There are also a couple of boxes of Charger Wire Assembly by IWATSU Electric Co. I think go with those plates.

For our future shop we have a vacuum table and an old Plate Burner (works). We just got an electic paper cutter and an HP 5000N. We're getting poly plates this next week (and a plate punch, I can't believe they are so expensive).

So, with what we have, can we use these electrostatic plates? If not, how much are they worth to put on EBay or Craigslist (if at all, shelf life?)? And are the Charger Wire Asseblies worth anything? I know nothing about the Electrostatic process, does it need chemicals? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Niki

Forget about the Electrostatic Plates. We used them in the 1960's and 70's. The require an electrostatic plate maker special fountain solutions and were ment for duplicator type work.

They are not worth anything.:)

DanB

Oh man,I remember those days.......:mad:

AB Dick / Itek quit making electrostatic plate makers years ago. A typical run was around 1000 on 11 x 17 and maybe 2000 on 8.5 x 11. They would start to crack on the tail and work their way in. This was a gold mine before copiers showed up. I grew up on these plates. As mentioned before toss them in the garbage. You also need the etch for the plates and an etcher. If the plates are not etched before going on press they will not work. I doubt this etch has been made in the last 20 years

Wow! Thanks everyone. I guess I will just toss the plates and the Electric Wire Assemblies. It will be good to rid of the worthless stuff in the collection. Just got done painting my 'press room' (second bedroom). I look forward to having a clutter free organized room. Thanks agian.
Niki

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back