energy Independence

Green Printer

Registered Users
If the United States would do an energy program using the same exuberance we did with the to the moon program in the 60's there would be jobs and energy independence and technology that we would use for many decades just as we have done with the 60's space program.

What we need is to make this the 3 third time charm.
WWII atomic
60's the moon
2009 energy independce.

One of the best programs I have seen is the hydrogen program by Blacklight power.
Check them out
Http://www.blacklightpower.com

Our worlds future depends on clean non carbon based energy.

Thank you

If the United States would do an energy program using the same exuberance we did with the to the moon program in the 60's there would be jobs and energy independence and technology that we would use for many decades just as we have done with the 60's space program.

What we need is to make this the 3 third time charm.
WWII atomic
60's the moon
2009 energy independce.

One of the best programs I have seen is the hydrogen program by Blacklight power.
Check them out
Http://www.blacklightpower.com

Our worlds future depends on clean non carbon based energy.

Thank you

1) Blacklight is its own company. They are providing a service like any other company. Whether they will succeed or fail is depending on whether the market wants the product. Sure the government can still give subsidies to that company, but if people don't want the product then whats the point?

The same goes for the Big Three. Why give them money if no one wants their stuff? The market says we don't want their stuff, we are going somewhere else. And the government supports this type of business to still thrive on top of all the inefficiencies that still plague the company. The best thing the Big Three can do is go chapter 11 and reorganize their business model and find a better way to compete in the ever changing market. Since that isn't happening, we are screwed the next time the economy gets tough and they'll want another bailout.

The energy program will help to provide incentives for renewable energy to be produced. But if the demand isn't there, nothing can be done. Companies are in it for the money, and if the market wants money in SUV's hell they'll make SUV's without a hitch. That's the nature of the market. A beautiful idea that I've thought up is to just push more independent R & D for renewable energy so it can become cheaper to produce. Having government subsidize the products only creates inefficiencies because of the bureaucracy that is Washington.

Exuberance is not what we need. We need a rethinking of what we want as a nation. Sadly many sections of the nation, baby boomers is one example, are poised to keep what has always been and not think about any pressing changes. Sure some of them voted for Obama on the "change" train, but when the tough decisions come they'll go back and stick their head back in the ground.

In the end the market always re-adjusts itself and creates the needed change. If more people want renewable energy, then they'll get it. However, if there are more NIMBY people, nothing is going to happen.

While you may be right "mattf"

"Sure the government can still give subsidies to that company"

"Having government subsidize the products only creates inefficiencies because of the bureaucracy that is Washington."
Sadly Government subsidies is precisely how the Railroads and Interstate highways were built. People oftentimes get fabulously rich based upon what the Government decides, regardless of what the people want, up until a point. That point is when the people collectively insist upon policy changes. The key for Government is to keep the public ignorant and spin them to maintain the status quo.

"The energy program will help to provide incentives for renewable energy to be produced. But if the demand isn't there, nothing can be done."
Except to change Government policy, but as you said, the demand won't be there as long as the public remains ignorant of the issue. A mighty fine Catch 22.

To some extent I agree with both posts. It requires our collective insistence in order to change Government policy as the first post suggested. However the second post states our stumbling blocks so very well!

Best Regards
otherthoughts

While you may be right "mattf"

"Sure the government can still give subsidies to that company"

"Having government subsidize the products only creates inefficiencies because of the bureaucracy that is Washington."
Sadly Government subsidies is precisely how the Railroads and Interstate highways were built. People oftentimes get fabulously rich based upon what the Government decides, regardless of what the people want, up until a point. That point is when the people collectively insist upon policy changes. The key for Government is to keep the public ignorant and spin them to maintain the status quo.

"The energy program will help to provide incentives for renewable energy to be produced. But if the demand isn't there, nothing can be done."
Except to change Government policy, but as you said, the demand won't be there as long as the public remains ignorant of the issue. A mighty fine Catch 22.

To some extent I agree with both posts. It requires our collective insistence in order to change Government policy as the first post suggested. However the second post states our stumbling blocks so very well!

Best Regards
otherthoughts

The highway system indeed was a government subsidized project. The one specific industry that lobbied for it was the automobile industry. Why wouldn't they? Creation of a nationwide system that only automobiles can travel on? Of course they are going to lobby for it. And on top of that, the system itself created a larger demand for vehicles. Not just cars, but delivery trucks and Semi's and the works. Its what made our country function. Combined with airplanes and trains our country is at this moment very connected. But now with the earth going around the sun a few times everything that supports our American lifestyle is getting old. The same machines that powered this economy will not be the same 5 years or 10 years from now. Whether the change starts now or next week doesn't matter to a philosophical point of view, but to a workable point of view it needs to be thought out carefully in order to work.

And I hate the 'change' crap. I'm a Workflow Administrator within a small print company. My job is to create more efficient processes and the thing that a lot of people don't understand is that change is a way of life, it isn't something that just comes out of the blue. Its a constant dance that must be kept in balance. Granted, I'm happy that we have a new president in office, but people need to look deeper at whats going on instead of getting on board just because of some catch phrases. rant for the day....

The highway system indeed was a government subsidized project. The one specific industry that lobbied for it was the automobile industry.
[SNIP]
And I hate the 'change' crap. [snip]... the thing that a lot of people don't understand is that change is a way of life, it isn't something that just comes out of the blue.

Two thoughts:
The public highway system in the US was originally built for the military requirement.
Change happens, progress is optional.

best, gordon p

my print blog here: Quality In Print

Two thoughts:
The public highway system in the US was originally built for the military requirement.
Change happens, progress is optional.

best, gordon p

my print blog here: Quality In Print

Right you are Gordo with the first thought!

I suspect your second thought couldn't get much more to the point and is likely an axiom;)

I have always been impressed with how well informed my friends in Canada have been regarding the USA. Sadly, I cannot say the reverse is true. That includes myself as well. I'll keep working on it.

Well done Gordo!
otherthoughts

Phoenix Press in New Haven, CT is actively preparing for a Northwind 100 wind turbine to be installed ON-SITE to DIRECTLY offset the electricity needs of its printing and bindery equipment.

Technology is available TODAY; how many printers do you know who are located within residential neighborhoods? Industrial zoning won't pose much of a problem for renewable energy installation and use; the view from our front steps include: a busy harbor with oil tanks lining the shores, a new bridge under construction, run-down factories from the 1800's, and rusting hulks of the Industrial Era. A beautiful "kinetic art structure" of a wind turbine will usher in the winds of change. (sorry, bad pun!)

We recycle 100% of our waste paper, use Biolocity inks, low-VOC cleaning solutions, and more.

As a side note, we are actively seeking a 6-color pressman; PM me and I'll give you the details!

~Phoenix Press Inc
New Haven, CT
On-site wind!

Phoenix Press in New Haven, CT is actively preparing for a Northwind 100 wind turbine to be installed ON-SITE to DIRECTLY offset the electricity needs of its printing and bindery equipment.

Technology is available TODAY; how many printers do you know who are located within residential neighborhoods? Industrial zoning won't pose much of a problem for renewable energy installation and use; the view from our front steps include: a busy harbor with oil tanks lining the shores, a new bridge under construction, run-down factories from the 1800's, and rusting hulks of the Industrial Era. A beautiful "kinetic art structure" of a wind turbine will usher in the winds of change. (sorry, bad pun!)

We recycle 100% of our waste paper, use Biolocity inks, low-VOC cleaning solutions, and more.

As a side note, we are actively seeking a 6-color pressman; PM me and I'll give you the details!

~Phoenix Press Inc
New Haven, CT
On-site wind!

Cute advertisement.

Anyway, installing a wind turbine on-site for a company at times is almost impossible. I can tell you within my own company, located in Massachusetts, the industrial park we are located within is tightly packed. There isn't much room for us to expand in terms of infrastructure. Putting a wind turbine at our location would almost be nearly impossible. There is no room to even put a sizable wind turbine that could produce enough power for us. Local zoning laws and regulations are very tight on buildings over a certain height, and on top of all that the wind isn't the best within our location!

Yeah, not many printing companies are located in residential zones, but at times industrial zoning laws are damning at best. Your location seems a perfect choice as it is located within a large and expansive industrial section. Many printers do not have that luxury.

Placing smaller wind turbines on our roof is another option, but that would involve a completely new roof to be installed, which is a hefty investment.

Every printer I know that doesn't print Foil or Laminate recycles 100% of waste paper. It makes economical sense when you have companies like Hanna Recycling willing to front you a paper capture system on loan while giving you money for your waste paper.

Its good that you still try to create those solutions within your own company. Initiatives like that go a long way when you multiply the number of companies that participate within those programs.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back