Epson 7900 + ILS20 Spectroproofer issues

Hi, we are using EFI Fiery XF 6.3 to manage two Epson 7900 Spectroproofers that have an ILS20EPUV spectrophotometer on board. One printer is 5 years old and the other 2 years old. The spectros were installed originally in 2011 but not used for colour management until 2014.

Lately, the Fiery XF software registeres a "Job Cancelled" error. According to the server log, this error is preceded by one of two errors:

08/12/2016 10:52:17.827,321,0,3656,EpsonPort,SCGYEFI06,cAccel ::Measurement: Measurement failed (chart 1)

or

08/12/2016 11:04:31.439,393,0,148,EpsonPort,SCGYEFI06,StatusC allBack: status error

We see these errors on both Epson Printers. According to the Fiery XF server log, the errors always occur either during measurement or directly after.

The error is intermittant. The errors occur when linearizing, optimizing or verifying functions are initiated but not always. For example, when linearizing or optimizing, the first two or three charts will print and measure successfully but not the third.

The Spectroproofer option on the Epson shows the backign colour to be white (correct) and device temp to be 32C. Firmware for the Epsons have been updated to the latest patch as of Nov 15, 2016.

The ILS20 spectros measure and read every patch physically. The spectro's light correctly turns on during initialization and measurement. There are no mechanical issues with the carriage or the hold down bar on either unit.

I suspect that ILS20EPUV spectros are at fault but I know of no independent test to confirm this. Neither Epson nor XRite offer service or advice on the units at all. Replacement costs are $2K CND so it would be nice to confirm the problem rather than just buy new units and have the problem continue.

When I compare verification results from the ILS20 to a Techkon Dens Premium spectrophotomter or eyeOne or XRite eXact, the results are with 0.5 dE.

Hi,

we had similar issues with our system when it got 4 years old. The problem has grown gradually worse, up to a point when we had to abandon the idea of using the SpectroProofer + ILS20.

Be aware, that this is a complex system. The SpecroProofer has it's own firmware, too, and all four parts: the PC running the Fiery, the printer, the SpectroProofer and the ILS20 must be in perfect condition, to have a successful measurement. After weeks of trying, even our service tech gave up on this.

I suspect that ILS20EPUV spectros are at fault but I know of no independent test to confirm this. Neither Epson nor XRite offer service or advice on the units at all. Replacement costs are $2K CND so it would be nice to confirm the problem rather than just buy new units and have the problem continue.

Interesting that you are seeing the same errors on both devices (one of which is only 2 years old). Is the 2 year old device covered under an extended warranty? You could convince Epson to get involved if that is the case.

Are the Printers connected via USB or network? USB can cause bi-directional communication issues between the RIP and the Printer/Spectro.

You can try using the Epson Spectroproofer Utility to test the Spectros. If you can't get through their calibration processes, you can narrow down the issue to hardware. Link:
http://esupport.epson-europe.com/Fi...QhB6pjazAgeuNu1XQYZdVCVhfmE1LcU003D&id=380392

Because it is happening to both Spectros, I am leaning toward a RIP issue. Forward the errors to Fiery Tech Support and see what they come back with. You can try recreating the workflows and output devices. You can also try reinstalling. Save out a backup if you do so.

If you have access, you could try another RIP that supports the spectros. You could even try a free trial. Most RIP manufacturer's offer some sort of trial.

I suspect spectros, being a hack, I would swap spectroscopy to machines and test again. Then again, What are the odds of them both going at same time?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back