Epson 9800 Low-Res proofing

minder

wondering someone out there is able to help with solution.
My workflow is Heidelberg Prinect Singa Station 16 with the latest MetaDimension 16 RIP.
I want to set up my Epson 9800 as a low Res proofer. I plan on using 32 x 42 60lb-70lb uncoated sheets . How do I go abouts setting up the printer to print centered on my sheets so i can do sheet-work and work & turn proofs to back up.
Do i change the setting at the printer on at the RIP

Thank you

I have 2 signa stations and MetaDimension and use 4 Epson 9890. I some times do exactly what you are trying to do. So I will try to explain what we do to make this happen. I must say it does not back up exactly, it will be off depending on how careful and exact you are. We always use sheet wise in our layouts so things will be different. First do not change anything in the workflow Place some tape where you will line up the paper as a side guide, print the first side and then you will have to figure out where you need to cut the paper to get it in position to back up when you place it on your guide. We use over sized paper to produce ours, then we cut to get it to line up. To much ink and it will be so wavy it will never line up. Please let me know how you make out. Also there is a third party that takes two epson's lines them up so it goes through in one pass.

I use to use a similar method to akalaray's, but instead of using the tape a side guide I hot-glued something to the Epson to act as a stop to ensure that the paper is always in the same position (I have used old stripping pins or even a flat Lego to serve this purpose).

In my setup, the trick to avoid needing to cut the sheet is to tweak the size of the media at the RIP. I used ORIS Color Tuner and told it to center horizontally on the media. Whenever I had a new box of paper to use, I would run a test file through to see how well it backed up, then go back and tweak the media size as needed. It was very easy to get it accurate since I was centering horizontally - if the backup was off by 1/8", I would change the media size in ORIS by 1/16. Using this method my backups were close to dead on most of the time (for Sheetwise and Work-and-Turn). I did not apply a vertical centering - wasn't necessary unless you are trying to proof Work-and-Tumbles.

If you're not using a separate RIP to drive the Epson, then you can make the media size adjustments coming out of Prinect, I'm sure. Just make sure you don't accidentally change your Plate Media size. You may need to create a separate Media or flow for proofs (I've never used Prinect, so I can't offer more detail).

Last edited:
wondering someone out there is able to help with solution.
My workflow is Heidelberg Prinect Singa Station 16 with the latest MetaDimension 16 RIP.
I want to set up my Epson 9800 as a low Res proofer. I plan on using 32 x 42 60lb-70lb uncoated sheets . How do I go abouts setting up the printer to print centered on my sheets so i can do sheet-work and work & turn proofs to back up.
Do i change the setting at the printer on at the RIP

Thank you

We're trying to do the same thing. Where do you get the 32" x 42" sheets...? None of suppliers still sell that.

The paper is a custom order i get from from Spicers. It's not cheap, something like $200 for a box of 200 sheets.
Right now my setup is the 9800 used for Hi-Res proofs and i switched to the 9900 as a Low-Res proofers, which works pretty good for backing up my proofs.
Due to timing and Printhead issues, i had to switch my proofers around. In the end i do want the 9900 for Hi-Res and 9800 for Low-Res proofs.
For the 9900, we have the proofer setup at the RIP to center the image to the paper, I do get a warning that the image will not center up and down, but all i care about is the side to side centering.
Thanks guy for your input, much appreciated

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back