Epson Plates...

kdw75

Does anyone have any experience with the Epson metal plates? After watching the videos, it says that you use the machine, without any modifications, other than a plate guide, and a heater to cure the plate. The plates do seem a little expensive at $35 each for 13x19. And I really don't see the advantage over poly plates, which are cheaper.

We are still using an imagesetter to produce film, then plates, which has great quality, but is a bit outdated.

I would say a little expensive! Check with Fuji, I believe they still make a plate that can be used on a plate burner.... the last time I used plates on a burner was in 2008. At that time, Fuji plates cost about $6 each for the 13x19 size.

To be honest, if your plate volume is low enough to consider this you're probably better off to outsource plate production to a third party. I have quite a bit of experience with polyester plates both toner and laser imaged. Toner imaged polyester plates are terrible and I recommend you stay a million miles away from it. Laser imaged polyester plates are pretty awesome unless you have intersecting screens (CMYK images, duotones, etc.). All that said aluminum laser CtP isn't anywhere near as expensive as it used to be and used units are pretty widely available.

Is your existing CtF device capable of processing polyester? I used to work with an Agfa Phoenix and it could run both polyester and film.

To be honest, if your plate volume is low enough to consider this you're probably better off to outsource plate production to a third party. I have quite a bit of experience with polyester plates both toner and laser imaged. Toner imaged polyester plates are terrible and I recommend you stay a million miles away from it. Laser imaged polyester plates are pretty awesome unless you have intersecting screens (CMYK images, duotones, etc.). All that said aluminum laser CtP isn't anywhere near as expensive as it used to be and used units are pretty widely available.

Is your existing CtF device capable of processing polyester? I used to work with an Agfa Phoenix and it could run both polyester and film.

We currently run poly plates through one of our imagesetters, but they can only run 12" material. We are looking for something that can be used to occasionally run the larger plates.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back