Epson Proofing Paper

slehning

We are looking to switch out our Epson proofing paper.
We are currently using a glossy high priced paper.

We want to go with a semi-Matte with a low Matamerism level that wont break the bank.

I am not asking for to much am I. :)

Any way, Just looking for some feed back as to what others may be using along these lines.

Thanks

Steve Lehning

Re: Epson Proofing Paper

We are using Satin 230 from midstates graphics. it is by far the best inkjet paper we have. We tested other papers and this paper comes under 1DE of Gracol 7. Other papers we tested were about 2 or 3 DE's. I'm not sure what you consider a lot of money but we pay about 370 USD for it.

I used to print on Agfa inkjet semi-gloss proofing paper (about $400 a 44 inches roll). After a few months I switched to another semi-gloss inkjet paper that costs about $160 (Mediatech's instant dry JPXPDQL). Did my homework and profiled it properly and I truly cannot tell a difference between the two except that the Agfa paper is a tiny bit thicker. As you can see with attached images, when I compare both gamut with Agfa's profiling software, you see they are very similar (Agfa paper: red border, JPXPDQL: yellow border). Also, the "show anomalies" tab of my profiling software (compares actual target measures with expected measures) shows less anomalies when using the new paper profile. Anyway, the bottom line is that I saved thousands of dollars in inkjet paper last year for pretty much the same printed result.

We are using Chromaticity EFI validation paper. This paper does not have as much UV brighteners ( which you don't really want) and the price seems to be pretty good.

Jeff

Mediatech is the company. They are based in Montreal, Canada. 1-866-622-6066. The paper name is "JPXPDQL"

Edited by: Colorblind on Jun 16, 2008 12:01 PM

Contacted them today, thanks. Had a hard time getting someone that speaks english though. (im in the states)

I'm sure they will find someone to serve you good in english. One thing I forgot to mention if you want the 44 inches roll, it only comes with 2 inches core while Agfa paper was rolled around 3 inches core. Paper gets a bit curly at the end of a roll.

Hope it will work good for your needs.

I second the vote for EFI Validation 250 Satin. ((Disclosure: I do have a commercial relationship with EFI). It's very similar to the Epson, which I also like a lot, but is a tad bluer to correspond to the GRACoL white point of 95 0 -2. Val 250 is about 95 0 -2.7--close enough. Nice and sturdy, super-smooth, satin surface. it can be used to proof print jobs on both gloss- and dull-coated press substrates. MSRP is very close to Epson, so it's the least expensive top-quality alternative for you. Contact me off list for further info.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back