Errors with numbers data field using uDirect

hkellogg

I have a data field in an Excel file (csv) that represents numbers of miles, (100,000, 250,000, and 500,000). Each time I try to place a dynamic graphic tied to this content I lose my connection to my data source. When I try to create a new content graphic tied to the static text I notice that I get the following in the rules. [x] Miles when I would expect [T] Miles

Does anyone have any idea why this would happen?

thanks

As soon as I specify the data field for miles the error I receive is as follows:

**** No preview data, the rule is invalid. ****

I checked the XMPie website which states that Ver 6.6 will be downloaded to use with Adobe CS6. However, when I unzipped the file (uDirect_Mac.zip for Mac) the .dmg file was XMPie uCreate Print.dmg. I then double clicked to open the install file. When I did a right click on the install file and go to "get info" it states "Version 5.0, MindVision Software."

Does this mean that XMPie isn't providing the correct version of the uDirect plug-in for Adobe CS6?

hkellogg,

I don't know. The reason I asked about the version is, if you are using anything higher than 5.5, XMPie will flat-out ignore that fact that your text fields in a CSV file, even if you are enclosing your text fields in double-quotes (the universally accepted notation that the data between the quotes is to be treated as straight text), as a text field if the field contains numbers or dates.

The work-around for this is to create 2 fake records in the file and make them the first 2 records of the file. In any fields that contain numbers, make sure those fields in your fake records are only populated with alphabetc characters ("xxxxxx", or "aaaaaaa"), etc.

I know it sounds "hokie", but...............that's because it is. When XMPie encounters those 1st 2 records with alphabetic values, it will treat that field in the rest of the records as straight text, and won't attempt to reformat them (which, is what I think is causing your problem of dropping the content graphic and data-source.

Any, it's worth a try...

Best
-MailGuru

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back