Esko will NOT be attending Graph Expo 2014

For any of you commercial printers out there using a former Artwork Systems solution like Nexus or Odystar, or even Automation Engine for commercial printing (God forbid), if this doesn't send a clear message I don't know what will. Esko is not attending this year's Graph Expo for the first time in history (I think anyway). We all know trade shows may be going the way of the dinosaur eventually, but it's amazing to hear this news.

Recently, LabelExpo was held in Rosemont, IL and Esko attended that show in a big way -- because it is a Packaging-related show and that is Esko's focus and core business. Commercial Printing in Esko's mind has always been foreign and barely understood. They just don't know how to compete or make money in commercial printing. Packaging is where the action is. It's still a niche business in a sense with good cash flow and big customers, so you can understand why their focus is there. And believe me, they will milk it for all it's worth. The stories I hear about Esko costs and services are incredible!

There has been a big movement in commercial printing establishments that use "Esko" products (really Artwork Systems products) away from Esko and over to Kodak Prinergy and some of the other larger manufacturer's workflow solutions out there.

I would be interested to hear what current Nexus and Odystar customers think of Esko these days, the upgrade path they have offered you (if they have), and what your workflow plans are for the future. Thanks!

On Esko:
Packaging is a (barely) growth market and commercial printing isn't. Even the commercial vendors are clawing tooth and nail to get a foothold packaging if not myopically focused on growth in packaging.

On GraphExpo:
I've been told that even Fujifilm isn't attending GraphExpo this year. They are busing people to their Hanover Park office and demo center. Komori did the same thing years ago. McCormick place is just too expensive and you cannot justify the ROI. The other packaging focused trade shows that are doing quite well and you'll notice they rarely rotate through McCormick.

@Chevalier - sorry, not agreeing - Graph Expo is only 28 bucks a square foot - we (SmartSoft ) have a booth it is only $5,600.00 - so, your statement "McCormick place is just too expensive and you cannot justify the ROI." - ROI for what ? That is less than a single sale for someone like Esko. I rather doubt that is the reason Esko decided not to attend. Compared to something like Dscoop, it is the deal of the century! ( $16,000 for a booth there ) and that is only attended by Indigo owners.

I WILL concur with the fact that packaging print service providers probably are not attending Graph Expo, so Eskos money would be better spent boothing up at Flexo-friendly shows.

I mean, if you are a first time attendee shopping for your very first commercial prepress workflow system, I doubt you would be looking at the Rolls Royce / Ferrari type Esko systems even if they were there.

On GraphExpo:
I've been told that even Fujifilm isn't attending GraphExpo this year. They are busing people to their Hanover Park office and demo center. Komori did the same thing years ago. McCormick place is just too expensive and you cannot justify the ROI

The problem for the major vendors is not the cost of being at a show like GraphExpo since even the small vendors seem to have no problem managing the expense. The reason is the one you alluding to with Fujifilm - at a trade show prospects can easily make direct product and solution comparisons. They can also easily get competitor's responses to other vendor's claim. From the vendor's point of view it is much better to have the prospect in a sealed off controlled environment like a demo center.

I've been to GraphExpo 6 times since 2000 and I've also been to various demo centers more times than I can remember around the US as well. I know how big of a deal it can be - especially for the small guy. I think the trade shows are great for exactly the reasons that you have both described. However, I believe at least for the software side WebEx, and live online demos are superior at this point. You get a nice polished presentation at the show but few if any vendors will test live files like they will on personalized presentations.

That out of the way...
I guess what I have been told about McCormick and costs was false. I've had reps. from at least four different vendors (small and huge) tell me the costs associated with McCormick are just too much for the sales directly generated at the show now. Perhaps these reps were provided bad information from their superiors or perhaps they flat out lied. If I've spread bad information I sincerely apologize.

Last edited:
I guess what I have been told about McCormick and costs was false. I've had reps. from at least four different vendors (small and huge) tell me the costs associated with McCormick are just too much for the sales directly generated at the show now.

Sales reps - LOL - well, I suppose - they need to say SOMETHING as to why they will not be at the show, or why their employer will not have a booth ! You know what they say about sales people and layers - (Q) how can you tell if they are telling a lie ? (A) - their lips are moving.

Even if you factor shipping the booth travel, food, lodging and (in my case ) a massive bar tab - if you get 2 sales out of the many leads, you get ROI. I think most people who would stop by an Esko booth a Graph Expo would be Esko customers already. I would also think ( as i mentioned before ) any new workflow tire kicker would be somewhat overwhelmed at all that Esko has to offer, and any power user would have wrangled a trial software version via a phone call.

related to your 'in person is better than webex / GoToMeeting comment - not sure i totally agree with that either - I can tell you that everyone in the booth always forgets to ask a few VERY important questions. Almost everyone that comes to the booth does not even KNOW all the questions ( they might be in charge of this and that, but not that other thing ) - we qualify sales FAR BETTER using Screen Share and demos ( and can let the prospect "drive" ) - I think we need to go to trade shows ( as a vendor ) but we do a LOT more deals via screen share as you can have all players available to Q&A. Just sayin.

I worked for prepress / printer from 1983 until 1996, then went to the dark side ( the vendor side ) - so, perhaps i see things a little differently.

Nice chatting with you Chevalier

Enfocus are going!

Enfocus are going!

We'll be there. So if you're going make sure to drop by and say hi!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back