Evolution of Color Proofs

Thanks Gordo. I do have book cases full of graphic arts books and I can't find anything either. My online searches are coming up empty as well apart from one video of someone making a Colorart.

Got your PM, thanks! I'll check with Frank and see what he has.

Thanks Gordo. I do have book cases full of graphic arts books and I can't find anything either. My online searches are coming up empty as well apart from one video of someone making a Colorart.

Got your PM, thanks! I'll check with Frank and see what he has.

Until you asked the question I just assumed there would be tons of info, pictures etc about the history and technology of proofing since it's so critical to the industry. So it was quite a surprise to me that there's so little info on proofing - even in books dedicated to proofing and evaluating proofs.
Crazy.

Until you asked the question I just assumed there would be tons of info, pictures etc about the history and technology of proofing since it's so critical to the industry. So it was quite a surprise to me that there's so little info on proofing - even in books dedicated to proofing and evaluating proofs.
Crazy.
Likewise. I thought it would be easy to find content online but seeing how the majority of these proofing systems died long before YouTube was born it seems like an impossible task to find anything that shows how we used to make proofs. I did reach out to Frank and I'll let you know what he says.

I did a quick Google search for 3M Matchprint and it came up with a handful of images. Same thing when I searched for Dupont Chromalin. The trick I guess is remembering the manufacture. I even found a few pictures of Dupont Dylux.

I did a quick Google search for 3M Matchprint and it came up with a handful of images. Same thing when I searched for Dupont Chromalin. The trick I guess is remembering the manufacture. I even found a few pictures of Dupont Dylux.
Thanks! Putting the manufacturers name in the Google search did pull up some better results than what I was finding earlier. Still not pulling up any videos and I'm hopeful that someone somewhere will pull something out of their archives...

Thanks! Putting the manufacturers name in the Google search did pull up some better results than what I was finding earlier. Still not pulling up any videos and I'm hopeful that someone somewhere will pull something out of their archives...
I doubt you'll find any videos. These types of proofs were being used long before you could just pull out your phone an shoot a quick video. Back then it would have required a actual video camera recording to VHS tape. Quite the production.

Some info that may illuminate. Posted on behalf of Alois Senefelder

Attachments

• Proofing Systems117-part-1.pdf
    768 KB · Views: 182
  • Proofing Systems117-part-2.pdf
    609.8 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back