Experience with Agfa FM screening solutions?

jschlatter

Can anyone provide real world feedback on using the Sublima and/or Crystal Raster screening to resolve moires in fabric and other patterns? We are in the process of installing Apogee 6 and Agfa is pushing these as the replacement for our current stochastic screening. I would like to hear feedback from someone who uses this on a fairly consistent basis to see how well it fits the bill and if there are any challenges with it.

Sublima

Sublima

We've been using Sublima since 2004 and it has proved pretty reliable. We have found it most useful for removing moire from scanned preprinted halftones.

Can anyone provide real world feedback on using the Sublima and/or Crystal Raster screening to resolve moires in fabric and other patterns? We are in the process of installing Apogee 6 and Agfa is pushing these as the replacement for our current stochastic screening. I would like to hear feedback from someone who uses this on a fairly consistent basis to see how well it fits the bill and if there are any challenges with it.

Agfa :CrystalRaster and :Sublima should not be compared against each another since :CrystalRaster is an FM screen while :Sublima is basically an AM screen (Agfa ABS). Instead they should be compared against screens in their respective families, i.e. :CrystalRaster against other FM screens (Staccato, Satin, HDS, etc.) and :Sublima against other AM/XM screens (ABS, Maxtone, HQS, etc.)

This is what :CrystalRaster looks like close up (2400 dpi):
CS2.jpg

This is what :Sublima looks like close up (2400 dpi):
ABS2.jpg

As a comparison, here is what Agfa ABS - a "conventional" AM screen looks like (2400 dpi)
ABS2-2.jpg

:CrystalRaster is Agfa's implementation of a "First Order" FM screen. :Sublima is their implementation of a hybrid AM screen (a.k.a. XM screen).

Because :CrystalRaster is a 1st order FM screen it shares many of the issues of that class of screening. Grainy flat tint areas as well as being problematic in plate imaging and possibly on press due to the small size of the dots that propagate through the tone scale. On the plus side, when reliably imaged it will eliminate rosettes and subject moiré (i.e. the moiré thant can occur with fabric)

At its heart :Sublima is ABS screening - Agfa's core AM screening technology. However, at the extreme highlight and shadow dots the actual smallest dot size is restricted to the minimum dot size that can be reproduced by the imaging system (CtP, plate, and/or press). Typically it's the 2%/98%, or 3%/97% dot that is specified as the minimum allowable dot size. It recovers the tones that would otherwise be lost by varying the number of same-size AM dots in those tones rather than their size. That is the "FM" part of the screen. It is a screening solution to an imaging resolution problem. This class of screening is most often used in flexo applications due to the low resolution of the majority of flexo plates. Because only the 2%/98%, or 3%/97% dots are affected there are no magical properties presswork properties that are not also available with conventional AM screening (including Agfa's).

Because :Sublima is at its core Agfa ABS (AM) screening it performs identically to a conventional AM screen as far as moiré is concerned. What it does allow is higher than 200 lpi screening on Afga systems (other vendor systems may not need this resolution limitation work around for their metal plate CtP). Higher lpi AM/XM screening may avoid subject moiré - depending on the frequency of the subject's pattern. But it is an lpi moiré solution rather than a dot pattern solution.

Make sense?

You don't say how much of Agfa's equipment you've switched to (workflow, plates, CtP ?), however if you've jumped ship completely from your current vendor to Agfa, my suggestion would be to avoid :CrystalRaster for production work - although you may find it worthwhile to experiment with it. Instead use ABS at 200 lpi and if you need to got to higher lpi, then you have no choice but to use :Sublima.

(PS In addition to a great deal of background, I was a beta site for Agfa :CrystalRaster and wrote the BRIDG's guide to screening technology whose content was vetted by all of the major vendors including Agfa).

best gordon p

Last edited:
We recently installed Apogee 6 with an Avalon chemistry free platesetter, to replace our old Paladio CTP.
But I have to say, Sublima is no good at reproducing flat tints or light colours at the recomended 240 LPI or even 210 LPI, the printed result is often mottled, although on jobs with the majority being images, it is very good at holding detail. So I guess you have to take each job on merit.

We recently installed Apogee 6 with an Avalon chemistry free platesetter, to replace our old Paladio CTP.
But I have to say, Sublima is no good at reproducing flat tints or light colours at the recomended 240 LPI or even 210 LPI, the printed result is often mottled, although on jobs with the majority being images, it is very good at holding detail. So I guess you have to take each job on merit.

I don't think you can blame :Sublima for mottle. But you can blame high lpi screening. It is not unusual for mottle to appear with some papers as you increase lpi from 150 to 175, 210, 240 etc. The more halftone dots per square inch the greater its ability to resolve defects - like paper induced mottle. FM screening, because it is high effective lpi screening will do the same thing.

The problem is typically not the screening design - the problem is the paper. That being said, mottle can also be caused by the ink if it is not suitable for the size of the dots created at the lpi being used.

Again, :Sublima holds detail if you use high lpi. It's the lpi that holds the detail - not :Sublima. If you could run Agfa ABS at 240 lpi you would resolve exactly the same level of detail as :Sublima. If you ran :Sublima at 175 lpi it would hold the same detail as Agfa ABS at 175 lpi because they are, at their core, the same screening.

best, gordon p

Last edited:
Thanks Gordo.

Contrary to SIMON's experience, AM screens, and especially Sublima for pastel tones, tend to excel with flat tints.

Simon - something doesn't sound right. Have you had Agfa in to double-check exposure, etc.?

If you can hold a 2% dot at 175 AM, then Sublima at 240 shouldn't be any harder, or more problematic.

Regards,

We used Sublima with thermal plates at the max line screen for our engine of 210 with mixed results. There were issues with banding based on laser swaths on the drum lining up only becoming visible when laid down in ink on press. Agfa was only able to get the issue fixed hit-or-miss not good enough in a production environment. When it worked it looked very good. Flat tints looked like PMS inks and photos looked CT to the naked eye.

We used Sublima with thermal plates at the max line screen for our engine of 210 with mixed results. There were issues with banding based on laser swaths on the drum lining up only becoming visible when laid down in ink on press. Agfa was only able to get the issue fixed hit-or-miss not good enough in a production environment. When it worked it looked very good. Flat tints looked like PMS inks and photos looked CT to the naked eye.

Steve from Agfa could probably expand more than me on the points that you raise.
Banding is an imperfection in the swath exposure which manifests itself at the edge or boundary of the halftone/background. Higher frequency screens have more edges per unit area and this correlates with greater sensitivity to banding. Again, it is not a fault of :Sublima or of ABS - it can be manifested as a result of using a high lpi halftone - any halftone AM/XM or FM.

best, gordon p

Last edited:
Steve from Agfa could probably expand more than me on the points that you raise.
Banding is an imperfection in the swath exposure which manifests itself at the edge or boundary of the halftone/background. Higher frequency screens have more edges per unit area and this correlates with greater sensitivity to banding. Again, it is not a fault of :Sublima or of ABS - it can be manifested as a result of using a high lpi halftone - any halftone AM/XM or FM.

best, gordon p

You are correct. Unfortunately the issue not being visible on plate, we always discovered the banding had returned on press, not the best way to QC your plates! Sublima wasn't the issue, pushing the plate setter to it's limit of ability to produce consistent product was. It would take a half day for the Agfa tech to remove the banding after discovery, by that time we had reverted to ABS and were printing. Sublima looks VERY good just make sure your equipment can handle it. (Different job) CrystalRaster seemed to exacerbate wear issues on plates since the "dot" size is a consistant small size, images appeared to lighten as the CR plates wear.
Gordo, I lover your blog. Keep up the good work~!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back