Feedback needed - InDesign CS6 to .idml for ID CS5.5 work

Colorblind

I everyone, just wondering if anyone has had issues/unexpected results when opening an InDesign CS6 .idml file (Mac OS) in InDesign CS 5.5, I need to convince management this is a pretty scary way of working so horror stories are welcome.

We had our customers save back to CS5.5 .idml files for about three months before we upgraded to CS6, and near as I can remember, there were no issues to speak of.

Erik

That one is easy: just use new features that were introduced with CS6. CS5.5 should not understand those and make a mess of things or these features should not import at all.

Now if only there were compelling new features for print production in CS6 :)

If you're still working in CS5.5, you're not using the updated Pantone libraries, and some of the colors have changed significantly.

Saving back is always a risk and could generate mistakes and extra time to handle those files.

I did not have any issues with idml files. It is uncomfortable that your files are untitled and missing links do not have low-res visuals in the frames but so far, so good.
CS6 on the other hand really does my head in. Indesign gets really slow sometimes for no good reason, Illustrator has the usual 'upgraded' features that make me wanna jump off a bridge (having said that, cs6 IS actually a step forward from cs5 because they brought back some features from cs3) and Photoshop refuses to save files 'because of a program error' which I then easily can save in CS5...
No CC here, and I doubt we will have it in the foreseeable future, so I couldn't really tell if idmls from CC open up with issues in CS5.5

I just upgraded to CS6 a couple weeks ago .... if you already have 5.5 I think you can upgrade for around $250. It was kinda hid on the Adobe website, but I called and found out how to get the discount.

You're creating extra work for your customers. They might as well just go to a print shop that doesn't require extra steps to make artwork

Whoops.. Didn't mean to submit that just yet..

I've never had any issues with idml files... Sorry :(

But I agree with rich apollo - you're not using Pantone+ if you've got 5.5. In other words, your colors are still in that silly numerical order which apparently is an issue.

I just upgraded to CS6 a couple weeks ago .... if you already have 5.5 I think you can upgrade for around $250. It was kinda hid on the Adobe website, but I called and found out how to get the discount.

I'd be very interested to know where that upgrade path is on the Adobe site! We have 3 workstations and can't justify the $600+ to upgrade the last one that's stuck on 5.5 since it was a standalone install and needs its own upgrade serial.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back