Feiry FX Rip 6.1.1

amybest222

Currently running 6.1.1

Experiencing transparency issues on flattened pdfs (ei. Colors changing on certain panels) (boxes under "text frames"),- every now and then.. not regularly but enough to want to prevent it.

The operators are requesting Tiff files (on files over the size of a billboard) instead of PDF which is an extra step (and for me (Prepress),– and in my opinion a backwards step) coming from the Offset

world and now on the Large Format side.

Not really an advocate of rasterizing files. Especially when page boxes are used to re-check finishing, pockets etc.

Seems like the standard PSL3 Rip should be abel to handle transparency in a PDF.

I am also the manager of my department and want the production process as a to be smoother and consistent. From prepress to print, to finishing

Wondering why a 15 mb 14x48 billboard thats a pdf takes 45 minutes to RIP and the same billboard as a tiff RIPS in 5 minutes.

Any insight is appreciated

Using the latest versions of CC.

The latest version is 6.2.2. You should be using the Adobe PDF Print Engine not the PS3 engine. But that being said I have experienced problems with Nesting or with Step & Repeat using APPE in version 6 that I never had with version 5.

What hardware are you running it one and how many threads do you have enabled. There shouldn't be anything that takes 45 minutes to RIP even if using the PS3 engine.

Currently running 6.1.1

Experiencing transparency issues on flattened pdfs

Do you definitely mean flattened PDFs? Because that sounds like an oxymoron!

Presuming you mean unflattened... I'm not familiar with Fiery XF RIPs, but based on regular Fiery RIPs, I'd suggest the same as DYP - using the Adobe PDF Print Engine.

Does the file have very complex vector elements? That's what I've seen slow RIPs right down before - very complex 'spirograph'-like patterns with lots of transparency, used in the background on vouchers, for example.

No Title

Yes , i Mean flattened pdfs saved as acrobat 1.5 files from INDD. (just a step to prevent issues) I need to find out if its running APPE or a PSL3 workflow? really we have 20x60foot boards that take 3 hours to rRIP

Since i am not actually running the rip.. where in the settings to i find that preference. We do have a "ghost" station in prepress..

Attachments

• photo5526.JPG
    photo5526.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 187
It's not possible to diagnose this based on your description, but this could be either a performance issue--that's a really big document that requires serious horsepower to process--or a file issue, or a setting in XF, e.g.., the method of size calculation, number of processing threads, RIP resolution and quality setting. Sometimes transparency issues clear up just by exporting the file as a PDF-X. Above all, make sure that your support contract for XF is current and if not pay the darn fee and get some expert direct intervention, something you can't do on a forum.

Yes , i Mean flattened pdfs saved as acrobat 1.5 files from INDD. (just a step to prevent issues) I need to find out if its running APPE or a PSL3 workflow? really we have 20x60foot boards that take 3 hours to rRIP

Since i am not actually running the rip.. where in the settings to i find that preference. We do have a "ghost" station in prepress..

PDF 1.5 supports transparency, so I'm still not sure what you mean by 'flattened'. Have you tried PDF/X-4? That's the setting I'd suggest for PDF export from ID.

For APPE, this guide has instructions: http://help.efi.com/fieryxf/OlderProductVersions/FieryXF6.0/FieryXF6.0_English.pdf

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back