Fiery warning, don't upgrade Fiery Server to Windows 10.....

mwc

Just passing along the warning email I received over the weekend....

Dear Fiery user,

Thank you for choosing the leading digital front end for your print operations.
Fiery[SUP]®[/SUP] digital front ends are specially designed systems combining an operating system with Fiery software and custom electronics. As such, Fiery servers running Windows[SUP]®[/SUP] 7 or Windows 8.1 will not support the Windows 10 upgrade directly on the server. Please do not install Windows 10 directly on your Fiery server.
If the Fiery server is upgraded to Windows 10, it will not operate and the system will have to be rebuilt from original software disks or backup images.
Microsoft announced that a Windows 10 upgrade can be performed through Windows Updates starting July 29th. A "Get Windows 10" notification may pop up on your Fiery server asking you to upgrade to Windows 10. Please dismiss the notification.
EFI has created a Fiery patch, based on a solution from Microsoft, which disables the pop-up and prevents the Fiery server from being upgraded to Windows 10.
You can get the patch from your Fiery supplier or download it from fiery.efi.com/disable-windows10.
Contact your Fiery supplier for more information.
Sincerely,
Your Fiery team
Note: EFI strongly recommends that you perform a full backup of the system image on a regular basis. In the event of an accidental Windows 10 update, the backup image can be used to restore the Fiery server so it will operate normally.
To create a backup image, use the tool specific to the Fiery system:
  • For Fiery FS100 Pro servers and later, use Fiery System Restore located on DVD1 of your Fiery media kit.
  • For Fiery System 10 servers and earlier use the Fiery Clone Tool. See web page for instructions.

I installed the EFI W10NoUploadPatch.exe on 2 rips this morning on Canon 7010s running Fiery 10 software. The first on went flawlessly. Now for the second rip: I'm still waiting for Canon IT support to return my call because the Fiery rip will not start. It says starting please wait after reboot. Not sure what caused this since Canon has not returned my call. Been down for 4 hours and counting!!!!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back