FILE NAMES

john wah

I have a Torrent Highwater RIP and I have recently purchased a new i mac. the problem i have, is any job I send to the RIP has the same file name, which is the name of the page set i choose. I can't seem to figure this out,
I have other macs on the network and files sent from them come through with the correct file names, so you would think it is something do do with the i mac,
but sending files to another rip from the imac, they come in with the correct file name.
has anyone any idea what is going on?

Re: FILE NAMES

Hi John,

I have seen this a few times with new Intel-based Macs and also with Adobe CS3 applications. There is a Page Feature available for Harlequin Rips called Get Name or Get Name 2 which when applied in a Page Setup should prevent this problem from occurring.

To check if you have it installed; Open the Page Setup Manager on your Rip > Edit the Page Setup you are using > tick the box on the right marked Enable Feature and see if you have Get Name or Get Name 2 available in the drop down list > If it's there, select it and click OK, close the Page Setup Manager and restart your inputs. If its not in the list - make sure you deselect the box marked Enable Feature.

You could always contact your Rip supplier and ask them to supply the Page Feature.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Ian Coulton

I'm sure I heard something at one point about seeing this problem if you didn't set up a name for the Mac itself in the control panel. Sorry, don't have a Mac here to check exactly where that would be.

That would explain why it seems to be only showing up on one new Mac.

RunRagged

The reply by runragged is correct I believe. However, if people are interested, on the download area of our web page (www.hamillroad.com - go find the download area) is a little piece of PS code which when printed will cause all subsequent jobs to use the jobs file name as the Job Name listed in the RIPs "Output Controller / Monitor".

The "HMR JobName v1.3" code installs the required code to do this. And in case anyone's interested or wonders how I knew how to do this, for those of you who don't know, I was the founder of the Harlequin RIP division at Harlequin exactly 21 years ago on June 8th IIRC (and for the 12+ years I was there was the Chief Designer of the Harlequin RIP, inventing and coding many things in it).

Enjoy!!

Regards,

Andy.

Andy Cave,
Chief Executive Officer,
Hamillroad Software Limited.
www.firstproof.com
www.hamillroad.com

I have an issue similar to this. Out of Preps to a Harlequin RIP. When I use .ps as input files the name given shows up at the RIP. When I use .pdf files the name at the RIP shows up as the name defined in the printer set-up on the Mac ( in this case "BlkMako2"). Is this a Preps issue or something in the RIP? and how do I get the name to show up correctly at the RIP?

I think the RIP reads the Title out of the PDF, so it sounds as if Preps isn't setting that properly. Try digging through preferences to see if you can change what it does there. Otherwise the "get name" feature that Ian Coulton mentioned could do the trick for you.

RunRagged

> I think the RIP reads the Title out of the PDF, so it sounds as if Preps isn't setting that properly. Try digging through preferences to see if you can change what it does there. Otherwise the "get name" feature that Ian Coulton mentioned could do the trick for you.

That's correct - the RIP reads the Title out of the PDF.

The "get name" feature that Ian mentions is not generic across Hqn RIPs, so you're likely not to find it. There is also a page feature supplied by Global from v7 onwards called "Use filename as jobname" that you could use. But both of these 'suffer' from the fact that you're using a Page Feature so can't use any other Page Feature. If you use the code that I mentioned above from our web site - see my earlier post - it will do this but not use a Page Feature (as we install it in the RIP), so depending on what you want to do might be preferable.

Regards,

Andy.

Andy Cave,
Chief Executive Officer,
Hamillroad Software Limited.
www.firstproof.com
www.hamillroad.com

Hi Andy,

thats really useful.

There have been a number of times when the I've needed to use the Get Name page feature but also needed to use another page feature in the same setup.

Many thanks,

Ian

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back