Film Scanning

All,

We are considering digitizing our film library; we have over 200,000 titles with anywhere between 1 and 6 separations for screen printing at 85 to 120 LPI.

With the newest CopyDot equipment being over 20 years old and not supported anymore, I started searching for software that would do the separation and assembly work after scanning on a traditional flatbed scanner and ran across "RepliDot".

This software appears to no longer be available, neither is the software that is used with the CopyDot hardware.

So... what now? With the number of titles we could potentially scan over the next several years, I'm not enthused about sending this work out!

What are my options? Should I just buy up some used CopyDot equipment and cross my fingers?

Thanks for any consideration you can give my query.

I should be more specific... In order to eliminate film materials/processing/handling, etc. we're considering a direct-to-screen imaging device. This will necessitate digital files.

Do you want to actually "copy the dots" - where you are going to "output at the same line screen" ( which has its own set of issues, but probably not a major issue for you, as there are very very low line screens ( 85 - to 120 line screen )...

or

Are you interested in descreening - returning the files to composite color or greyscale PDF that could be either printed digitally / inkjet - or re-screened ?

What is a title ( not sure I understand how you are using that term, as to me, a 'title' is a magazine - for example, Time Warner offers over 40 titles ( Sports Illustrated, People magazine, etc... )

When you say 200,000 - is that sets of film then ?

I should be more specific... In order to eliminate film materials/processing/handling, etc. we're considering a direct-to-screen imaging device. This will necessitate digital files.

Did you find what you were looking for? Although you said you didn't want to ship film out and all if you need to we have an Esko copydot scanner and can go up to 48" if you ever needed film scanned. Feel free to message me with any q's.

If you are interested, I can offer you digitizing your film library at a very reasonable price. In the case of long-term cooperation I offer a substantial discount, all depends on agreement. Of course there is the possibility of sending digitized samples or test scans to check the quality.

In case of interest please contact me for more details.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back