Final sizing problems

Winness

What is the standard expectation on final size of mounted posters. We are being sent net A2 pdf's to print, mount on 3mm board then over laminate. To give a nice clean trim to final board we trim into the print by about 2mm. However this reduces the size to less than 420x594. Customer is complaining and keeps sending back saying they are too small. They wont sent us an oversize (or don't know how to) so what does everyone else do.

Here's what I do: If I get a document for example 24in x 36in that has print right to the edges, but no bleed, I will use the rip to print the document at 103%, and then trim back to 24x36. I would recommend you do the same, and print on something slightly larger than A2, then trim down to A2.

This may be a thought of idea but what if you printed the pdf at 101% or 101.5% and then trimmed them back to the 420x594 size is there generally any "live" work that close to the edge . . . just an idea . .. worth what you paid for it

Final Print Problems

Final Print Problems

Yes - they are mostly photographs with a header band - and they complain if any oversize is used but they insist on an exact board at the same time. Hoped someone had come across a similiar customer and had sorted the problem - other than with a shotgun. Ah well back to nibbling at the white until it doesn't show!

Print them at 103% of size, and trim the top (or the area with the near border text, etc) so it looks good. Then, trim the sides and the bottom to size. This method allows you to trim to size without cutting off near edge text, but only on either the top or bottom, and either left and right.

Cheers
JG

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back