Finally a viable alternative to PhotoShop?

gordo

I've just downloaded Affinity Photo from the MAC app store and been playing around with it. It's amazing! Really. It does pretty much all the core stuff that PShop does - for just $49 (actually a bit less with introductory pricing).
Greyscale, RGB and CMYK and it opens PShop's PSD files - layers, effects, and all.
Unfortunately you end up owning the software - no monthly subscription. LOL

I highly recommend you try them both. They are really great programs!! The only downside I found aside from them not taking your money every month :) is the learning curve on the tools and pallets. Its a bit of a struggle to get used to the layout after 20 years with adobe. I recommend the Affinity programs to any designer starting out as they are still affordable for people trying to learn. If the subscription pricing existed when I was first trying to learn I would have never been able to afford Photoshop/Illustrator/Indesign and would probably be doing something completely different.

Not that I can see. Lab values yes.

Too bad. It might have been worth the minor expense if I could have played around with XYZ values.

Curious. I could not find that app at the Apple Mac store.

Thanks for the information.

Too bad. It might have been worth the minor expense if I could have played around with XYZ values.

Curious. I could not find that app at the Apple Mac store.

Thanks for the information.

Maybe you misspelled the name of the app? See attached screen grab. It's the purple triangle.
App store.jpg

Buy it! IMHO, their efforts should be supported.

If you want to play with XYZ values, have you tried Bruce's site http://www.brucelindbloom.com/ ? In the "Math" section.

Last edited:
Maybe you misspelled the name of the app? See attached screen grab. It's the purple triangle.

Buy it! IMHO, their efforts should be supported.

If you want to play with XYZ values, have you tried Bruce's site http://www.brucelindbloom.com/ ? In the "Math" section.

I found it but it was not so easy. Did not find the exact page you show. ?? I had to use the search function to search for games and that lead to the Affinity app. When I searched for Affinity, it could not find anything. Strange.

This is the store page I get. http://store.apple.com/us Not so clear how to find apps from that page.

I do know about bruce's site but if I wanted to play with the XYZ values, I would hope to do that in a more automated way in an app. Not practical to calculate large numbers of values with the formula.

Thanks again.

I found it but it was not so easy. Did not find the exact page you show. ?? I had to use the search function to search for games and that lead to the Affinity app. When I searched for Affinity, it could not find anything. Strange.

This is the store page I get. http://store.apple.com/us Not so clear how to find apps from that page.

On your MAC, under the Apple icon in the upper left corner you'll see this:

App store.jpg

Click on the 4th item "App Store..."

Search there.

On your MAC, under the Apple icon in the upper left corner you'll see this:

Click on the 4th item "App Store..."

Search there.

Yes, that works.

Funny, I would have thought that going to the apple store from the Safari browser would have gone to the same location but it doesn't.

It looks like I would need to upgrade my OS X version to 10.7 first though. Maybe I should do that. :)

Thanks again.

Gimp. I told a fella about it and he likes it. I'm still in CS 6 and have no plans to go to the CC (rent a software). I'll have to retire first.

I purchased both Affinity Designer and Photo while it is on sale. Would love to alternatives to Adobe, though really wish there was something as good or better then Indesign that I did not have to rent to stay current. You cannot use pantone colours with Designer, so right out the gate it is not ready for production if you need pantone colours. I asked on the Affinity forum and was simply told it is coming, but no time line would be given, so not holding my breath. Both apps are VERY fast. Designer was butter smooth scrolling around some vector files.

You guys are funny! The Quarking of Adobe? One can only hope, I do mainly signs now as the margins in general print are not what they once were however a sign and donor wall client has begged me to take back their printing, they as well as I Quarked Adobe along time ago are on the PC, Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 running CorelDRAW X7, moved that way 25 years ago. CorelDRAW is vastly superior for signs as well as large/grand format printing then Adobe, I'm now using CD for a Prinergy 7 work flow for this client all is well for about $1.70 a week total cost of ownership.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back