FinalProof 5600 RIP

chevalier

What are you feeding your FinalProof's PD System Pro with?

I use PDFX/4:2008 as my standard PDF preset for everything. I've had terrible RIPs from AOZORA where the proof is completely wrong but ends up being loved by the customer. Today I proofed a job that prints UV with an Opaque White under-print on metallized media. The first PDF I fed was PDFX1/a:2001 and worked fine, then a revision was made and I used my default PDFX/4:2008 by default (mistakenly in this case) and the white overprinted everything instead of under-printed.

Sometimes it RIPs correctly at our CtP and gets to press "wrong" I end up spending half a day remaking the files to make it appear like the proof did. The issues almost always seem to relate to flattening. I'm currently only feeding it PDF X/1a:2001 PDFs (100% flatness) in what I expect to be a somewhat futile attempt at preventing these issues.

I have even made a futile attempt to feed PD System Pro 1-bit screened TIFFs from our CtP RIP but found out that we'd have to manually convert everything to CMYK before RIP and not be able to use the extra films which make the FinalProof useful for spot colors.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back