Finalproof lamination problems on uncoated stocks

dirkster

Anyone have success laminating FinalProofs on uncoated stocks? Until recently, we hardly ever printed on uncoated stocks. Now that uncoated is becoming more popular with out customers, it gives me no end of grief. When I peel the Finalproof base off after lamination, more often than not part of the proof remains on the base. Sometimes it's fine type, sometimes part of a solid. Any one have any ideas here?

final proofs on uncoated

final proofs on uncoated

Fuji offers a pre-lam for uncoated stock. I use it only if I can not seperate backing from paper. Pre-lam coats sheet and defeats purpose of uncoated look.

Get your rep to bring you couple sheets for demo/test purposes.

I have 'acceptable' luck when laminating to uncoated stocks 80lb and over, some times the edges are rough. 70lb can work if I reduce my speed (only 2 settings on my laminator) AND pad using 3 sheets of stock going through the laminator. Hope this helps.

We don't have any luck either. Any time we are proofing a job that prints on uncoated we proof it on a Matte sheet. If it is color critical, the customer comes in for a press check

Good Morning people.
being an ex-fuji employee I had the pleasure of working on the laminators for the finalproof.

there are things that need to be checked on the laminator.

squeeze from top and bottom roller, Heat, and believe it or not the recovery time
of the heat as the tranfer plate is being put through the laminator. I suspect that
the wall voltage coming into the laminator is probably at 208-210 if so this will sometimes cause the ramping of the heat to be low. if so a buck boost transformer is needing to be installed and the proper tap is set in the laminator I know you will see a major improvement.

The setting up of the laminator is very crucial for proper adheasion. Normally the setup
time of the laminator does not happen in one day. after making adjustments you should wait about 1/2 hour to 45 min for the heat and rollers to stabalize across the roller.I have seen in the past where the Fuji tech installing the Finalproof also sets-up the laminator. The laminator is put together,turned on and as the finalproof is being installed the laminator warms up. Then as the Finalproof is done installed they use the laminator but nothing is ever set because it works.

If you need assistance email me at [email protected]

Ray

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back