font message in acrobat--OS X 10.7.4, Illustrator .pdf, Suitcase Fusion 4, OTF font

prepress labels

Hello!

Lately, I've been getting a font blowout when making proofing and print-ready .pdf files from Illustrator:

Screen Shot 2012-07-03 at 2.55.17 PM.jpg

Converting the fonts to outlines in Illustrator before making the .pdf is a workaround, but I can't figure out the root cause.

We recently upgrade to Suitcase Fusion 4 (logged a support call with them--no response yet). Other than that, I can't think of anything new.

Anyone else have this issue? Thanks for any feedback!

Lately, I've been getting a font blowout when making proofing and print-ready .pdf files from Illustrator:

HOW are you "making proofing and print-ready PDF files from Illustrator"?

I would HOPE you are simply using Save As, yes? If not, what?

Also, what version of Illustrator and Acrobat are in use here?

If you open the PDF file in Acrobat, hit Command+d, and go to fonts; do you see more than one instance of HelveticaLTStd-Bold? I wonder if you haven't got more than one copy of the font active. If Illustrator is trying to subset from more than one location it could get 'confused'.

Thanks for the reply--that isn't the issue, though. Here's what I get:

Screen Shot 2012-07-06 at 10.53.23 AM.jpg

The ones I circled are actually Open Type Fonts, not Type 1 fonts--however, Acrobat recognizes them as Type 1 (Illustrator recognizes them just fine as Open Type Fonts).

I just updated Suitcase to 15.0.2 build 462.

Thanks for the reply--that isn't the issue, though.

Clearly HOW you are producing the PDF is an issue, since at least one of the fonts you have in that screen shot is NOT embedded - certainly not what you want.

The ones I circled are actually Open Type Fonts, not Type 1 fonts--however, Acrobat recognizes them as Type 1 (Illustrator recognizes them just fine as Open Type Fonts).

That's to be expected, since when producing a PDF using certain methods, a CFF-based OpenType font will be "reduced" to it's original Type 1 favor rather than maintained as a pure OpenType font. Nothing wrong.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back