Fonts and Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Sev

We just installed 2 new Macs, running Snow Leopard. We updated to 10.6.8 without doing any testing on 10.6.4. We have now found that all of our job fonts are corrupt, and are zero K in size. We check the fonts on our job server, and they show up as zero K on the new Macs, but the same fonts on the server are fine on our older Macs. Is this a known issue with 10.6.8, and is there a fix for it? Looks like a pretty serious bug.

-Sev

It sounds like the fonts were originally copied via AFP to the server. If that is the case, you need to access the server share via AFP instead of SMB from the Snow Leopard Macs:

afp://nameofserver

or

afp://IPofserver

It sounds like the fonts were originally copied via AFP to the server. If that is the case, you need to access the server share via AFP instead of SMB from the Snow Leopard Macs:

afp://nameofserver

or

afp://IPofserver

This also includes fonts that are on CD's, instead of going across the server. Our entire font library on CD also shows up as zero K.

-Sev

If AFP method, Joe suggested does not work you might not have Appletalk installed on your Snow Leopard.
Apple killed support for Appletalk from Snow Leopard and higher so on new machines you would not have it and the only way to connect would be through SMB (Windows network protocol that does not understand Apple resource forks and strips them so older fonts appear as 0k).
You could install Leopard, than upgrade to Snow Leopard which would keep Appletalk but not possible in Lion at all.
I believe there are third party Appletalk options but I would just look forward and move on, just like Apple.

If AFP method, Joe suggested does not work you might not have Appletalk installed on your Snow Leopard.
Apple killed support for Appletalk from Snow Leopard and higher so on new machines you would not have it and the only way to connect would be through SMB (Windows network protocol that does not understand Apple resource forks and strips them so older fonts appear as 0k).
You could install Leopard, than upgrade to Snow Leopard which would keep Appletalk but not possible in Lion at all.
I believe there are third party Appletalk options but I would just look forward and move on, just like Apple.

AFP and Appletalk are not the same thing. And Snow Leopard still has AFP and Appletalk is not necessary for AFP to work.

AFP and Appletalk are not the same thing. And Snow Leopard still has AFP and Appletalk is not necessary for AFP to work.

I stand corrected.
You are right Joe, I mixed two of them where they should be completely separate things.

What font types are you talking about? Were these fonts installed through font book or through an external font manager?

We had the same issues with our fonts after upgrading to new machines with Snow Leopard. We had migrated the files from our old Mac's to the new ones and got 0k font files. We solved this by re-copying all our files including fonts from the server to a Mac external drive, then re-copying it back to our Windows based server. This worked. The other issue it solved was that the initial migration had removed all the color labeling we had applied to numerous folders, this was restored as well.

We fixed the font issue by entering the following command in Terminal:

echo "[default]" | sudo tee -a /etc/nsmb.conf
echo "streams=no" | sudo tee -a /etc/nsmb.conf

My co-worker found out about this command after doing some google research. As soon as we entered the command in Terminal, all of our fonts were no longer zerok, and worked fine.

-Sev

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back