Formax 22S vs Triumph 4315 (Or Formax vs Triump Auto Paper Cutters in General)

CliffSpielman

Hi and thank you in advance for feedback. I'm looking at an entry level semi-automatic cutter for my home shop. Based on space constraints even more than budget, I'm looking at the Triumph 4315 and Formax 22S. The two have almost identical feature sets but I haven't been able to get any concrete feedback on which is better and why. The 22S is $1500 less on MyBinding, so that's a consideration.

Even if you haven't dealt with these models, but you do have feedback on Formax cutters in general, or Formax cutters vs Triumph cutters in general, I'm all ears.

A good guillotine cutter can last decades so don’t hesitate to contact a local equipment dealer to see if they have a used one available. You could save thousands of dollars and have a very nice cutter with all the features you need. They’re always listed on ebay and some of the listings are from dealers that offer warranties. However if you must have a new cutter then I would side with the Formax style because it has a better clamping system.

Like @TJPrinter said, a good cutter can last decades. We still do our everyday cutting on a Challenge 20. Bought it about 7-8 years ago on Craigslist for $800 and its been a champ. Only thing it has needed is a new hydraulic hose and oil changes. Check around for something used. You might be able to get more bang for your buck. These machines are tanks so feel confident when buying.

A local dealer told me I'm better off with Triumph than Formax in general because Triumph is German and the Formax machines are made in China. This dealer has a good reputation, so maybe he's right? Regarding used vs new, I do both. In this case, if I'm going to have a cutter with me for years, I'd rather start with a new machine. The Challenge 20 sounds great but I have limited space. So I'm still debating the 4315 vs the 22S. I do prefer the spindle clamping on the 22S though.

The reason we’re suggesting looking more into a used cutter is because they really are built extremely well. I’ve been using a Standard/EBA cutter every day for over 20 years that was built in Germany before the Berlin Wall came down. Challenge has some outstanding cutters that you can pickup for less than half what you would pay for a new cutter and still last a lifetime. Save some cash and put it into another piece of equipment. Good luck however you decide to go!

Your point is well-taken. Now I'm looking at used cutters as well, still in the tabletop size range and an entry level semi-automatic with digital backgauge display. I'm looking at a few Challenge Spartan 150SA listings on eBay. I just don't have room for a large machine right now - my shop is in my house. My Xerox Versant is in my kitchen.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back