From Prinergy to Heidelberg workflow?

vedran

We plan to buy another CTP device, currently using Prinergy/Preps with Lotem800. In case of buying Heidelberg CTP we could switch to Heidelberg workflow.
So I'm concerned about compatibility of existing Preps files with Heidelberg workflow. We have a lot of reprints so would we be able to use them? Also, can someone compare complexitiy of each workflow,mainly imposition software, creating various templates etc.

Thanks!

I am not sure if Preps JDF would work as is with Printready, something to test for sure.
If you are upgrading to Printready, you can still stay with Preps but it is recommended to move to Signa Station to utilize workflow better.
Signa is more complex than Preps, but offers much more power, depending on your needs.

Complexity is up for discussion, if you get proper training, I would say for most of the work it is easier to work with Signa than Preps as it offers you nice wizard that takes you step by step to build imposition.

I never used Prinergy, only what I saw on demos but I used Preps for many years and I can tell you that Preps is ok for simple imposition, but can get complex building special layouts where Signa really excel and gives you flexibility.

My exposure to Preps is limited up to version 5, maybe in 6 they did something dramatic to improve it, which I am not aware of.

We plan to buy another CTP device, currently using Prinergy/Preps with Lotem800. In case of buying Heidelberg CTP we could switch to Heidelberg workflow.
So I'm concerned about compatibility of existing Preps files with Heidelberg workflow. We have a lot of reprints so would we be able to use them? Also, can someone compare complexitiy of each workflow,mainly imposition software, creating various templates etc.

Thanks!

I'm not clear if you add a new CTP device or replacing your old one. If you are adding I would just stick with your current sofware workflow. If you are replacing then I would not be concerned with how reprints will work as the screen system in printready would differ from prinergy. Just take your already created press ready PDFs from prinergy and re-impose.

I used preps for many years and found it to be great but lacking when it came to dutch cuts and ganging jobs and retaining the proper numbering but keeping the automation for creeping. Signa doesn't have these issues. But you will find signa a bit of a learning curve as it works completely different then preps.

If reprints are of a big concern or the jobs are overly complex and you are keeping your prinergy no reason why you can't run both workflows and slowly transition over to the final one.

Good luck

If we had it to do over again, we would go with Heidelberg Printect instead of Prinergy. Their support is much better than Creo, now Kodak. Preps was never easy to use as far as I am concerned.

It looks like some are integrating Preps with Heidelberg Printect Cockpit:
Preps 6 Beta and Heidelberg Prinect Cockpit v4.5.1 - GUA Forums

We have not upgraded to Preps 6.0 but it doesn't sound good:
Preps 6.0 = A HOLE IN THE WATER!!!!!! - GUA Forums

Naturally, there are ongoing support problems with Creo Preps:
Dongle Problem - Page 2 - GUA Forums

In fact, complaining about an ongoing problem makes support worse - not better. That literally means more downtime. Basically, Kodak bought Creo with the intention of selling plates with the workflow - not improving Creo poor support - especially their call center.

Creo, now Kodak, does not have support as a priority. For support to improve - it would have to actually matter to Kodak.

Unfortunately, other printers have indicated that Kodak support problems posted on various forums have been locked/stopped.

Good luck

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back