FTP file to PC customer

MJ

Hi,
My customer wants me to upload to her ftp server via windows explorer. She wants me to "open Windows Explorer and type ftp://file.org in the address bar it should take you to a temporary ftp folder. you should be able to copy the files to this folder."

How do I do this on a Mac?

Thanks so much for your time.

You might not be able to upload. I think the Mac's Finder only supports read only access via FTP. You can either learn to use the command line ftp or download an FTP client such as Transmit.

There is also an add-on for Firefox to use as an FTP client, called FireFTP.

-Sev

Wjens, you are correct when I paste ftp://file.org in the browser I see the main folder, but cannot do anything. I was hoping I wouldn't have go to through a ftp client and get a login and password. It is nice that PC's have this ability to put a url in the browser and get connected.

On the Mac side you need to use an FTP program to get read/write access. I usually recommend Cyberduck for a free FTP program or Fetch if you don't mind paying a few bucks.

Both should be able to parse the link you mentioned without requiring a password if you enter it into the host/server field. From there just drag the file on the Fetch or Cyberduck window to upload it to your client's server.

Fetch
Download Fetch

Cyberduck
Cyberduck | FTP, SFTP, WebDAV, Cloud Files & Amazon S3 Browser for Mac OS X |

Shawn

FTP in OS X

FTP in OS X

I also recommend cyberduck for its simplicity and drag and drop interface, but OS X does have built in support for FTP. In the finder click "GO" -> "Connect to Server", and enter in the FTP address you have "ftp://ftp.customer.com", and click connect. It will prompt you for authentication. The reason safari doesn't is by default it always uses anonymous, so does firefox. After you authenticate, you have the site mounted the same way you would a cd or flash drive.

- Don

To use the built-in unix ftp command:

Create a single ZIP file to upload if you have more than one file to send.
Activate finder (e.g., by clicking on the desktop).
Press Cmd-Shift-U to open a finder window in the utilities directory.
Open Terminal.app.
At the shell prompt, type ftp [email protected] (do not prepend "ftp://").
The ftp program should log in, and the remote server will likely ask for a password.
Just press enter to use a blank password, which should work, but if not use "[email protected]" (the protocol calls for anonymous users to enter an email address as a password, but servers usually accept anything). The password will not echo back as you type.
You should get a message that begins with "230" indicating successful log-in, and an "ftp>" prompt.
Type "put" and return to initiate a file upload.
When you get the "(local file)" prompt, find the file with Finder and drag it onto the Terminal.app window, which should fill in the path and file name for you.
Activate the Terminal window and press return.
At the "(remote file)" prompt, just type in the file name without the path, enclosing it in double quotes (") if it contains spaces.
The transfer should begin, and you should see a sort of progress bar.
When finished, you can type "ls" and return to list the directory and verify the file is there and the size is correct.
To close everything gracefully, type "bye" and return to exit the ftp program, then "exit" and return to exit the shell (you may still have to quit Terminal.app).

If the server does not put you in the directory to which you can upload files, you can use the cd command to change the working directory, e.g., cd "/Path/To/File," and the ls command to view the contents of the current directory. Information about the ftp command is available by typing "man ftp" at the shell prompt. From within the ftp program, you can type "?" to list commands, "? <command>" for help on a command, and "usa <command>" for the syntax.

While it is incredibly annoying that Finder does not allow ftp upload (presumably because extended file attributes would be lost - oh no!), the ftp command in OS X is far superior to the Windows version. It works in either passive or active mode (and defaults to passive), whereas Windows is active mode only. It also shows the progress of transfers, whereas the Windows version just surprises you when it's done.

Another problem with the Finder ftp connection is that it appears to randomly choose active or passive mode (I think it can switch during the same session). I tested it extensively with 10.4.11 and 10.5.4, and could not determine how it chose to connect, it almost seemed like it grabs a character from /dev/urandom and goes passive if its odd and active if its even. If anyone has any idea about this, I'd really like to know what the story is.

I also recommend cyberduck for its simplicity and drag and drop interface, but OS X does have built in support for FTP. In the finder click "GO" -> "Connect to Server", and enter in the FTP address you have "ftp://ftp.customer.com", and click connect. It will prompt you for authentication. The reason safari doesn't is by default it always uses anonymous, so does firefox. After you authenticate, you have the site mounted the same way you would a cd or flash drive.

- Don

It's read only though. You can copy from it but not to it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back