Fuji XMF Workflow

Thank you KansasQuaker
Just curiuos gg2017, why would you make the transition from Rampage to XMF?

I would like to know why also. We're trying to decide if we should go from Rampage to XMF because we're two versions behind with Rampage (AND they've stopped developing the workflow), our server is 11 years old and we'd like to improve our imposition software which is done via Preps - which we've not liked since day one. So we're thinking Rampage v13 with Metrix or XMF.

Erik

Not sure where you got your info from but Rampage has not stopped developing their software.

I stand corrected. Just got the letter from Fuji stating that Rampage is done. So sad :(

Last edited:
Not sure where you got your info from but Rampage has not stopped developing their software.

We had a presentation/demo with Fuji last week on XMF. Frankly, I was a little blind-sided, because I was expecting a demo of Rampage 13 (we are currently on Rampage 11).
The Fuji rep recapped the distribution history and acquisition of Rampage, and then said that they are presenting XMF to Rampage customers as another option. They didn't come right out and say that Rampage development is done, but they certainly implied that XMF was the future, and that Rampage version 14 might not happen.

Seems like dirty pool to me to buy a product, just to dead-end it and then present your own solution as the alternative. That may not be what is going on, but something didn't feel right.

We moved from Rampage to XMF 4 years ago. We did have a few hiccups along the way but the improved workflow and remote proofing has saved us many hours in pre-press. The one downside is we have lost almost half our repro workforce (from 14 to 8) and the job has become quite monotonous.

We moved from Rampage to XMF 4 years ago. We did have a few hiccups along the way but the improved workflow and remote proofing has saved us many hours in pre-press. The one downside is we have lost almost half our repro workforce (from 14 to 8) and the job has become quite monotonous.

hello,

may i ask if you had a problem on highlights and smooth gradients on xmf? do you encounter posterize on photos?

hello,

may i ask if you had a problem on highlights and smooth gradients on xmf? do you encounter posterize on photos?

We did have problems with PDF transparency on an older build, but no problems at all for the past year.
We are running @ 175 screen, 200 for when the job warrants it and /or customer asks for it. 200 screen usually cleans up the smooth gradients, but still does appear at times with a neutral flat blend over large areas

200 screen usually cleans up the smooth gradients, but still does appear at times with a neutral flat blend over large areas

thank you very much Grabmi for your reply.

how about highlights on skin tones? do you encounter posterize?

thank you very much Grabmi for your reply.

how about highlights on skin tones? do you encounter posterize?

We do have posturised images in the rasterised preview (unless we zoom over 100%), but have never had a problem with the image on press.
Out of interest, what type of dot and line screen are you using? I would suggest you speak with Fuji if you have posturisation on skin tones, something just doesn't sound right.

thanks Grabmi

Were are using 150, 175 and 250 am screen. We are evaluating Fuji for our workflow and plate setter upgrade. I read an article about their hybrid and seems that they had a problem with highlights. I also had a hand on a printed sample using 200lpi processed in xmf processor and Fuji's plate setter that has a posturize image (an open strawberry image) that justfy this study

https://bib.irb.hr/datoteka/317114.XM_SCREENING_TECHNOLOGY.pdf

But seems that you don't have this problem in using xmf and Fuji plate setter?

Switched to XMF about 2 months ago from Preps and Rampage. I am very happy with XMF so far, once you get a feel for where everything is it becomes quite simple. Some of the seasoned coworkers of mine were tough to transition. You have to change your mindset to switch. I have not had any issues with custom impositions or ganging things up. Either way for the money XMF is great, and Fuji has been fantastic to work with.

Thank you Jon for that info. I must be one of those "seasoned coworkers". You are correct when you say a mindset change. I have been able to build our web templates for our tabloid size, with the help of Fuji tech support. I like the Team Viewer they use, and it does take away the problem of having to explain your question to someone without them being able to visualize it. Each hurdle I've come across I've been able to resolve. I did find it more proactive to put the marks on the imposition/stripping sheet templates than use the global sheet marks. I did have the marks sheet go corrupt on me and that just steered me away from even using that feature. Appreciate the feedback.

We have been using XMF workflow for over a year….never crashed, works great and the ability to use it as an extended workflow outside of plating is a bonus.

use it as an extended workflow outside of plating (?)

use it as an extended workflow outside of plating (?)

We have been using XMF workflow for over a year….never crashed, works great and the ability to use it as an extended workflow outside of plating is a bonus.

Hi mnorman2007,

--- can you expand this on this comment ?

In what way do you use XMF past the moment when you send an imposed PDF file to some rip ?

Are we talking about ink-key settings ?

Are we talking about connecting to some Print MIS system or accounting / shop flor tracking / production reporting system ?

Creating portal files at the same time plating files are created. Embedding variable data information to go to digital web as well as what we run as stock inventory on offset from same file.

What is a portal file ?

What is a portal file ?

Creating portal files at the same time plating files are created. Embedding variable data information to go to digital web as well as what we run as stock inventory on offset from same file.

Is that some online soft proof file that you expose so the customer can review how the job imposed or simply a 'soft proof' of what you may have offered as a prepress service ?

"embedding variable data" - so, are you passing that data to some other system on the digital press to be merged with some template, or are you sending the already merged PDF file ( so, you make a massive multipage PDF and send it ( i guess my question is does XMF offer variable data processing, or is it just sending the file )

We've been using XMF for a few months. If you make a new pdf for a few pages, how do you re-proof the signatures that are affected. All the pdf proofs to the Epson 9900 or HP Spjinjet are sent. You can't just send say 1F, 2B, 3F.

We've been using XMF for a few months. If you make a new pdf for a few pages, how do you re-proof the signatures that are affected. All the pdf proofs to the Epson 9900 or HP Spjinjet are sent. You can't just send say 1F, 2B, 3F.

I believe that if you view the imposed signatures, there is a way to "retry" them, (either one or all) and you should be able to release to either proof or plate via each side of the signature.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back