Genuine Fractals

hkellogg

I am looking for comments on Genuine Fractals and its ability to take lower res photographic images (240 res) to 300 or 350 res.

I am a faculty member at Ball State University and I have a student project that we are planning to run at 175 line screen. My students have photographic images at 240 res. Do you think GF will help with this interpolation as we attempt to "res-up" the images? Another question is the advancements of GF 2.0 - version 5.0. We have 2.0 and it will run on a Windows XP machine. Can we get by with this? Would 5.0 be substantially better?

Thanks for your input.

Hans

/////////////////////
Hans P. Kellogg
Asst. Professor of Graphic Arts
Department of Technology
Ball State University
Muncie, IN 47304
(765) 285-5663
[email protected]
///////////////////////////////////////////////

Genuine Fractals

Yes, 240 dpi to 350 dpi shouldn't be a problem. In fact, I can get 400% enlargement and still looks very good!

On a sampling of images that I tested a while back, I really didn't see a large benefit for GF over Photoshop's own interpolation algorithms. Some differences to be sure, but I was left less than impressed. Another competitor made things appear quite artificial.

You probably do not need to upres the image at all. 240 dpi for a 175 lpi screen will, in most cases, be fine.

best, gordo

I would agree

MSD

-----

You probably do not need to upres the image at all. 240 dpi for a 175 lpi screen will, in most cases, be fine.

I feel blessed if our customers give us 240 dpi. IMO, it would be a waste of time to rez them up.

I've long used the "1.18 x the line screen" formula to find the bare minimum resolution(in this case would be 206.5 dpi). I wouldn't recommend this for everything but if you're being squeezed on resolution it's nice to know where that threshold is.

Thanks for the input.

In the long run, I am proud that my students are at least questioning the resolution issue. It shows that they are understanding the concerns and challenges that you folks face every day.

Hans

Last edited:
I have used PhotoZoom Pro for this ... It works pretty well, as long as you're not enlarging TOO much... it starts to just blur the edges and give them a glowing effect. I am guessing it is the same with all software like this.
Jon

Genuine Fractals really works?? I always thought it was impossible to add pixels where no pixels existed.

Genuine Fractals really works?? I always thought it was impossible to add pixels where no pixels existed.

You can add pixels - you just can't add information. The various applications distinguish themselves in how they interpolate existing pixels in order to do an "intelligent" guess of what the introduced pixels should be.

best, gordo

I 'm with meddington and gordo.
Unless your pictures include technical details i don't think you'll notice any difference between 240 to 300ppi even at 175lpi.
More than this,in some cases ps produces better results than GF,and either way(ps or GF) on large enlargements you will need further editing in ps to achieve a good result.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back