Getting QMDI PRO - What do you think?

fouad

Hello,

We currently work on digital printing but we decided to add an offset machine to our company because the quantities we are getting are all between 1000-45000 for each job.

So we were looking for something fast and reliable and we found the QM 46-4 DI PRO.
-What do you think about it ?
-What are the major problems ? Can they be fixed easily?
-Parts prices ? are they reasonable ?
-Does it take 350 gsm easily?

We also checked the Presstek/Ryobi DI...so your advice will help us.
Thank you in advance for your help

Regards,
Fouad

I run a Presstek 52Di, plate life is limited to around 20,000 sheets for good quality, your 45,000 job I would probably run on two sets of plates.

They need careful maintenance to stay in top condition, neglect them at your peril. Put a litho operator on on it not a xerox person, its not a copier ;)

350gsm easy, all day.

Has it got an IR dryer?

I have no idea about spares in your area but would get a service contract if possible, they are reliable but when they go wrong its rarely a spanner job.

I run a Presstek 52Di, plate life is limited to around 20,000 sheets for good quality, your 45,000 job I would probably run on two sets of plates.

They need careful maintenance to stay in top condition, neglect them at your peril. Put a litho operator on on it not a xerox person, its not a copier ;)

350gsm easy, all day.

Has it got an IR dryer?

I have no idea about spares in your area but would get a service contract if possible, they are reliable but when they go wrong its rarely a spanner job.

Thanks for your reply. Yes it has IR Dryer.

Whats the price of Presstek 52Di ?

Brand new, the price is horrendous, second hand not so bad.

Sorry cant give figures because our is a few years old now.

Hello Fouad,

I'm not trying to be a Davy Downer here, but if you're going to introduce an offset press into a digital environment you might want to remember that you're opening up a whole new world.

You're no longer going to be dealing with click charges, you're going to be dealing with "if it breaks...you've got to pay to fix it" and they're not cheap. You can't buy a washer for a DI, or any offset press for that matter, for less than $200.

Not to mention you're now going to have rags, washup solutions, inks, consumables...etc.... and let's not forget spray powder all over your nice digital equipment unless the DI has it's own room.

Last, but not least...you're going to have to find a reliable, good pressman. Don't listen to the salesman that tells you anybody can run it. It's still an offset press with it's own set of quirks.

Sorry if I'm jumping the gun....maybe you know all of this already, but I couldn't read this thread and not say something. :)

Good Luck,
Dave

You are getting good advice from the people that have posted. You have to remember that they do not manufacture this press any more. The Pro Model was the best of the lot. Consumable costs are high. You do need a press operator that knows how to print. A digital copier person will not be able to handle it. If you can get a a used good one cheap you might be able to make some money with the press. The press needs to print long grain for the best results on paper and short grain on card stock. In my opinion Toyo inks were the easiest to work with on this press.

I did forget to mention the mess :)

There will be spray powder in the air, no ,matter how clean the operator is, we have our Di in its own cubicle which is also air conditioned - they do not like large temperature swings as the process is heavily based on controlled temperatures.

Parts are *very* expensive without a good service contract, a single laser diode could easily be upwards of $2000.

They are profitable if run correctly and more importantly looked after, a dirty operator will reduce a Di to a pile of crap in no time, at the core they are just another press but the technology fitted around this press does not take abuse, especially ink ducts, lasers, developing stations and rollers.

I love my Di but I also have 35 years of standard press op work behind me so getting one of these was like a holiday for me - no more plates to change and register to chase, fast turnaround, high quality print, smaller sheet size, lower makereadies, the list goes on.

Toyo inks were stable but we did not like the cool colour hues they gave us.

They are good, but be careful.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back