Getting started in a PDF workflow

rcreveli

I am the digital production manager of a small printing company. We are both an offset and digital shop.

On offset we focus primarily on spot color work. Our largest press is a 19x25 Hberg MOZP 2 Color. We don't do much 4c in house because here in the Lancaster/York PA area there are a number of printers with top of the line presses and people that can sell the job to me cheaper than I can produce it. We also have 3302 and Itek 960

In digital we have grown significantly and become more robust each year. We just replace our 2 Canon 9070's with Xerox 4112's and replaced our Doc 12 with a Bizhub 6500. When I came here 4 years ago the digital area is where the Linotype sat so we have been happy with our growth.

Our prepress is the next area we are looking to upgrade. We have a DPM2340 that we use to create Poly plates for the small format presses and film for the MO. It's not a perfect system but we have been unable to cost justify a CTP metal system though we are getting closer every year.

The issue I'm struggling with is how to stream line delivery of jobs the equipment. I'm not ready to jump into a 30K Prinergy or Freeflow workflow but, I know we need to increase efficiency. I feel where I need to start is by moving form a native file workflow to a PDF workflow. I can see the advantages in RIP Time, Ease of Reprint from archives and error reduction. So what I'm struggling with is the best way to automate the creation process.

Currently here's how output works for us.

If the file is any nonstandard app (Anything microsoft) A PDF will always be created.
If a file is an App we use regularly(Indesign, Quark, Etc) a PDF is only created if we need to use Quite Imposing to paginate or impose otherwise, we send the native file to the output device.

If we need to create PDF we will always use the PDF Driver first and the Create a PS and distill only if we have a problem. I think this is where I need to Really start automating. I know when printing from the PDF drive I sometimes get Halftones that change densities and color shifting. The obvious solution is to use the native driver and the distill but that adds a step.

So 2000 words later the question is how do you automate that first step. I want to make my designer life easier not add more steps. I outlined everything else in hopes that people can give me streamlining suggestions. We are anxious to decrease our"touches" on jobs and become more efficient.

I am open to all suggestions.

Ray

If the file is any nonstandard app (Anything microsoft) A PDF will always be created.
If a file is an App we use regularly(Indesign, Quark, Etc) a PDF is only created if we need to use Quite Imposing to paginate or impose otherwise, we send the native file to the output device.

If we need to create PDF we will always use the PDF Driver first and the Create a PS and distill only if we have a problem. I think this is where I need to Really start automating. I know when printing from the PDF drive I sometimes get Halftones that change densities and color shifting. The obvious solution is to use the native driver and the distill but that adds a step.

I would start by stopping the use of the PDF printer driver and Distiller for all Adobe apps and instead use the direct PDF export features provided there (eg. File->Export, File->Save). For the MSFT apps, Acrobat also installs direct export ("Create Adobe PDF") buttons and menu items - use them!

Second, look into the use of PDF/X (either X-1a or X-4) as the production of those (direct from the apps) will ensure high quality, printable documents.

I'll second both the suggestions put forth.

BatchOutput is great. I use it a lot. If you have lots of file that you need to generate PDFs, EPSs, PS files from; or if you need to output single page PDFs it is indispensible.

Number 2, start moving to exporting PDFs. I'll be the first to point out that Distilled PDFs are still less problematic than exported PDFs at the RIP, but there are significant advantages. The controls (especially the color controls) are superior, you cut the steps of PDF creation in half, you don't have to flatten transparency, you step around PPDs (which can be questionable in how they handle your files - and are ever-changing).

Lastly, I'd take another look at justifying CTP if you're going to stay in the offset market. I have no way of knowing what your numbers look like, but having gone through this exercise a couple of times I'll say this - fim-based production CANNOT compete with CTP. When you look at CTP consider everything that will be cut from your budget: film, Dylux, ruby-tape, Mylar, film chemistry (developer and fix), exposure lamps, golden-rod, any film based proofing, film cleaner, opaqueing pens, opaque, and the labor involved in stripping. The time gains are very large.

The other thing to consider is that the life of film is limited. Perhaps more limited than we imagine.

If you like the "Print" - "Distill" workflow, you can also set up a hot folder through Acrobat. Just print to this hot folder and it will create the PDF using the setting assigned to the hot folder. (Everyone will be forced to use the same settings)

Just a thought

T

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I am looking into my options.

@Rich

I'm hoping to cross the threshold on a CTP system soon. If we didn't have the DPM plating for the small presses and generating the film for the large press it would be a no brainer but, we are getting close. Also when I came here 4 years ago the plate were all metal being shot an agfa film camera and stripped together so we've meade some progress ;)

Ray

I'm in almost the same exact situation as you. I had to check if you were my co-worker! I'm trying to get some automated programs or plugins working, but I think we're too small for any of that. Not sure.

I'm in almost the same exact situation as you. I had to check if you were my co-worker! I'm trying to get some automated programs or plugins working, but I think we're too small for any of that. Not sure.

Yeah I was at a Xerox Dog and Pony show the other day and there showing these awesome automated workflow systems but, that's a steep investment.

I'm running into the same kinds of issues. I am finally taking the plunge from printing everything to PS, and then using Acrobat Distiller to go to PDF.... to using the direct export to PDF options out of InDesign, Illustrator, Quark, etc...

I do have a couple questions, though. I've always done everything to PDF 1.3 when I print to PS.... does the same hold true when going direct to PDF? I put everything through Onyx and print to HP DesignJets... Should I be using a higher PDF version?

Also, I have an image with a drop shadow over top of some spot colors and another image. This drop shadow is causing a transparency box to show up and screw up the colors underneath it. I know how to deal with that when printing to PS, but can't seem to resolve the issue when going direct to PDF. Any suggestions? I can fix it by changing the spots to process, but that really won't work for me... without doing some color matching work. And I'd like something more automatic than that.

Thanks,
Jon

jon,
The PDF version you use is up to you. Depends on what you want and what your RIP will handle. I think your transparency issue may be linked to the transparency blending space.

workflow

workflow

Jay-

Standardize your pdf options you want to use, save the preset in InDesign, which creates a " .joboptions" in your common Adobe PDF settings library. Then utilize that at each workstation to "standardize" your exporting as a start.

We're a small company with 2 color Printmasters & DPM2340, 2 Digital B&W presses, and 2 Digital Color presses - so kind of hybrid, if you will. We went with Artwork Systems Odystar about a year ago and it has been a great fit. We have automated more than initially expected and are all PDF for production. We feel the investment was worth it because of two things: automation and Odystar shows up to work every day :)

What you really are looking for is one of two products. Enfocus Instant PDF or Enfocus SWITCH. The kinds of things you are describing can be handled quite easily in a SWITCH workflow. Workflows like that can easily be built and extended beyond the scope you defined here.

May I invite you to look at www.esko.com. We have several options for automation and workflow that may interest you. You will find information on both Odystar and a link to Enfocus (an EskoArtwork company). Contacting an EskoArtwork rep would allow us to build a system to your specific needs. Good Luck. - peter

Esko

Esko

You may...

But we already own Odystar. I was just trying to help them find a start. :)

Funny thing about automated workflows like Oddystar, Apogee, Xenith, Prinergy, et al; they only address automation at the RIP level. You know, once a file has gone through the whole process. SWITCH on the other hand helps to automate the other two thirds of the workflow; everything in front of the RIP.

Au Contraire

Au Contraire

Funny thing about people who want to sell another product...

Actually sir, you are incorrect, at least about Odystar. We are a "hybrid" shop - some offset, some digital. We have canvases, depending on type of work of course, where files enter through our ftp and are never touched by a human hand until waiting for a proof to be reviewed or a production person to pick up and run. So as far as your info that Odystar only automates at RIP level, you are incorrect. And I am not even trying to sell it, I am just a happy user. We automate email proofs, job routings, imposition - all before a RIP is even on the horizon. So don't make blanket statements if you don't want satisfied users to fire back at you!

Odystar vs Switch

Odystar vs Switch

As far as I know, they come from the same company EskoArtwork. The difference between them is the price and functions. I believe EskoArtwork use the same technology in Odystar and Enfocus Switch. Of course Switch is much cheaper compare to Odystar, so, less flexible and less functions can be automated compare to Odystar too. And Odystar get more updates compare to Enfocus Switch. Better support and service if you have services contract. Just like Neo, they have a version 2.0.1 from EskoArtwork while Enfocus still selling 1.22.

Another happy fully automated Odystar customer.

You know, when you say you can't justify this and that, in my humble opinion, you need to go back to the owner of the company and ask him (in a very nice way of course) to put up or shut up.

I mean, maybe you should ask him if how much $$$$ is he willing to invest and what sort payback he is expecting.

I say this because in my humble experience, so orgs expect the tech people to keep proposing technical solutions and not providing any kind of financial guidance. So the poor geek keeps asking if he can buy this or this or this and the answer is always no, no, no, we can't afford it.

You can't cost justify a metal CtP? Okay, well I wish you guys were doing business in Vancouver so we could raid your business and steal your competitors.

Hey, that my 2 cents of brutal honesty.

Postscript: In rereading your post, you say that you are not ready for a Prinergy workflow. Okay that's your call but believe me, I don't think you are going to save money in the long run if you don't automate.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back