Ghosting Bars in Preps

tbowat

Does anyone have a timesaving trick for applying ghosting bars in preps? We spend a hours adding ghosting bars to some of our jobs, there has got to be a better way.

This is how we do it today; 1. We add necessary marks to preps template (preps 5.3.3)
2. Add impo plan to workshop (5.03.1)
3. Make VPS
4. Look at the VPS to determine where the ghosting bars are needed.
5. Measure the width of each area where the ghosting bar needs to be (this is where fun starts :-()
6. Go back to preps and add rectangles that are colored 50% of c,m,y,k
7. Add the impo plan back in
8. Make VPS
9. Look at VPS to assure that your measurements were correct in preps. If the boxes are not exact you need to go back to preps to fix the rectangles and start the process all over again.

We have found that printing without the bars is not an option. Does anyone have an idea on this? The picture that is uploaded with this, is just the tail of the top of the web. The same ghosting bars are need to be placed on the lead edge, that part is easy, just a step and repeat.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-02-18 at 1.37.22 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-02-18 at 1.37.22 PM.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 234
And here I thought I was the only one making ghostbusters in Preps. I cringe when our Production Manager comes into Pre-Press with a printed sheet in his hands and says "we need ghostbusters, the press is waiting." I feel your pain. I've spent literally hours making ghostbusters in Preps for just one job.

I have made ghost bars that way also. Sometimes I find it easier to create ghost bars in Quark, InDesign or Illustrator from the art file. That way I can control the width of the ghost bar more precisely.

Well, I keep hearing these guys at work over the years how much easier and streamlined Preps is over Esko's FastImpose. I can create ghost bars in seconds using FastImpose just by going wireframe if I need to snap to specific elements. I would love to see Preps guys angle impos to eliminate ghosting...

We have also angled jobs in Preps to eliminate ghosting. The wireframe feature in Esko FastImpose sounds interesting though. I will have to look into that in the future.

Selecting the page in the template / Page information / Additional settings / Page Rotation (Bottling)
I assume this tool is used in web printing frequently.

Angling the entire sheet works if you have the space.
I usually make an independent page for the ghosting bars. creating a page and adding it to the end of my run list. set the page cmyk value to the area causing the ghost problem.

i aint 'fraid no ghost.....

I just can't wrap my had around how this works. I assume this is done on web jobs by the post that Rick S made. If you use page rotation on a job can it be finished inline or does it need to go to the cutter?

We are a sheet fed shop. We had a press that tended to ghost. The pressroom would request us to angle some jobs on the sheet to solve the ghosting. We used the previous method to angle the job on the sheet. Then the bindery would complain about having to use some sort of jig at the cutter to square up the sheets before any other bindery processes. A new press eliminated most ghosting here and everybody is much happier. It was a battle between Press and Bindery with prep challenged in the middle.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back