Glunz&Jensen Platewriter?????

Hi Guys,

Newbie here. Well, I finally talked my bosses into getting a CTP. They're looking at the PlateWriter 2000, Home | PlateWriter.com a chem-free platesetter that uses inkjet technology to dry image a 2800 dpi stochastic image onto a proprietary grained metal plate. It's one, if no the cheapest option which is why they're considering it first. Of course I understand that the cheapest is usually not the most cost effective option but this is their focus.

Here in Hawaii, it's a pretty lean market and with the drop in tourism, even leaner. Still, I don't want a unit that fails to satisfy our needs. Do any of your have direct or indirect experience with this unit? What are your opinions in general about this option. Also, which units would you recommend for a remote location that must be chem-free and highly reliable for a small shop doing somewhat demanding commercial quality 4C on a 20" 'deuce'?

I'd appreciate any guidance. Thanks!

*bump* so..... nobody? Nothing? Does anyone have any links to information or contacts that my have information about this one? I'd appreciate any information. :)

Can you give a little more detail about the type of work you are doing, press type, run lengths?

Research both your plates, ink costs and maintenance of the system. Inkjet systems usually offer a lower cost of entry. Depending on the system being purchased you may either be using proprietary inks or proprietary plates (or both).

How many plates a day would you expect to be outputting and what size plates do you need?

Hi Guys,

We run just two small, 2 color Hamada presses: RS34LS2, a two up portrait common blanket press we do forms and such on, plates around 13x19. A252, a two up, two tower landscape press we run longer runs and our 4 color work, plates around 15x20.

Between the two we probably average around 20 plates a day. The 4 color work we do is upper commercial quality, heavy coverage for many of the resorts in the area. With the challenging economy, many that bought these products from high-end printers and designer/brokers are economizing and shopping locally. We need to be able to meet that quality demand.

We want a chem-free system as we live here on the island. I want one that doesn't require me to wipe the plates with this solution or that 6 times a run. Right now we have a Xante poly system for the smaller press and I have to apply water and cleaner to the plates so much my fingers are crakcing off....no good.

This Platewriter system we're looking at does use their proprietary plates but surprisingly, they're not real expensive. Home | PlateWriter.com

Again, thanks for you input. :)

The reason I was asking is that we may have a system that would meet your needs. Please visit the following page for more information on what we have to offer:

CTP Systems - Epson Inkjet Poly Metal Plate Systems CTP System Processless Inkjet

Depending on your plate use and plate size the cost of an inkjet based CTP can be very economical. For high speed high volume shops inkjet based CTP systems usually don't fit the bill, but for some customers the cost savings on an inkjet CTP system can end up saving money in the long run. The ink costs for the RTI / VIM system are low because it uses standard Epson inks. The CTP Systems we sell are based on the VIM Technologies plate and require no modifications or special inks on the Epson itself which means you do not void the warranty. It does require an oven and a RIP to output to the Epson device, but we have built this into a simple package that includes what you would need to start outputting to metal or polyester plates. The one major benefit with this system is you can also use the Epson printer for digital proofing because it does not require any special inks or marking fluid.

To answer your question on cleaning: With the RTI / VIM System you can use alcohol free or low alcohol fountain solution to clean the plates and no gumming is required. Run length is 20,000 and the plates can be recycled. You can find pricing on the website for the plate costs but you can expect the cost to be around $350 to $450 for a box of 100 plates in the two sizes you have listed below. If you would like to receive some sample plates or more information just let us know.

Inkjet CTP

Inkjet CTP

*bump* so..... nobody? Nothing? Does anyone have any links to information or contacts that my have information about this one? I'd appreciate any information. :)

Do yourself a favor and read through some of the old posts regarding Inkjet CTP devices. Type in JetPlate or Glunz & Jensen in the search field.

Good Luck!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back