GRACoL 7 - spectro with UV at end of name

I understand enough about the press, but I am not a pressman. The pressmen do not understand enough about G7, but a "prepress" person is not someone they like telling them how to do their job. So this is why an expert is needed IMHO. But it looks like we will not get one, so I will do what I can when I get the right tools to do the job. A 508 is not a 528 or 530, and an i1 with UVcut is not an i1 without UVcut. Not the right tools to do it, so I'm not pushing doing it. Especially when no one here (except me) can tell a difference between the certified GRACoL proof and our current contract proof.

As far as how my machine runs? Well, you need more than the stock RAM, but I got an 8-core Mac Pro, so I am able to run everything I need to from one Mac without a problem (other than a little slowness when I have everything open, and like I said, RAM can fix that). I run Leopard installed (Adobe, Quark), and virtualize Nexus 8.3 Windows box, Epson CromaPro Windows box, Windows XP Pro SP3 production box (Adobe, Quark, MS Office), Kodak MPI Windows box, Windows 7, Mac OS X Server 10.6 (demo is fixing to run out, and I'm not buying since I haven't had time to really migrate, if I can, Leopard production Mac into a VM that runs Snow Leopard Server), and I run Ubuntu also. Now do I run all at the same time? No. But I can run all of them. So if a machine goes down, I unplug my dongle (dastardly things they are) from the physical machine and plug it into the VM, and I'm up and running in minutes (maybe less than a minute if I was in a race).

Regards,

Don

True, though an Xrite 508 can be upgraded via firmware to a 528 or 530. All you need is the code from Xrite...which they'll give you after you throw thousands of dollars at them.

Yeah, I figure an Eye-One without UVcut filter is all we need, costs less than the extra function for the 508, so I would return the 508 if it were my decision and just get an Eye-One.
Edit: In fact, I'm trying to do that now, although I've done some work on the press curves. I feel like I'm putting the cart before the horse, since the main purpose of the calibration run is to get solids and overprints within ISO tolerance (doing gray balance if can, but if it throws solids and overprints out of tolerance, then make plate curves, since they would be needed). Verification run and production run aims are making sure gray balance is achieved while solids and overprints stay within ISO tolerances.

Regards,

Don

Last edited:
I am waiting on an Eye-One that may come (not sure, Kodak is seeing if they'll take back the 508 and give an Eye-One to replace it).

But I have been given a comparison by a friend, and they said it would be fine for me to share it.

With this, one can see there is not much difference between the non-UV readings and the UV-cut readings. Paper b value would be the only problem really that I see.

So I have decided if we don't get the non-UV-filtered Eye-One, that I will use the UV-filtered Eye-One for the 7 of G7 (getting to solids), and after that, use the 508 spectro-densitometer to fix NPDC. Or I could just use the 508 on linear plate run to see if after getting to gray balance, that my solids are still in tolerance using the only device I have to do this.

Regards,

Don

Well, I've been on vacation for a week after finally getting us set up to G7 (with the right spectro: 528, so no UV filtration). How easy things can be when you have the right tools.

Regards,

Don

just used our house paper for both. Both had too high b* to be considered within tolerance. Looks good to me. I'm done with it. As long as we match the proofs, and satisfy the customer, nothing else really matters. To me, G7 doesn't matter. BUT we're set up to it if we ever needed to prove to a customer that we are hitting Certified GRACoL (Kodak MPI) proof appearance (if they can't see for themselves print vs proof LOL), even though we're not certified.

Regards,

Don

What paper did you use on the press for this?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back