Guillotine downgrade

BigSi

Hi there.

Bit of a strange one. Has anyone out there had any success downgrading their guillotine?. When I say downgrade, I mean still being able to use when the electronics pack up. I'm looking at purchasing another guillotine. It will need to be reasonably old (this is all I can afford). Hoping to purchase a model that can still function if and when the programs/electronics pack up. It seems to me the larger guillotines tend to stop functioning all together when this happens. It always seems a shame to me that you just can't just use in a manual mode, after all! you just need a back gauge that moves and a blade that comes down. (Lcd displays and programs are nice but not worth scraping the whole chopper over). I realize it all tends to be tired in with the safety light beams and this could be an issue. It might be a case of putting some aftermarket safety feature on. (it they exist). I aways feel that as long as there are two buttons that have to be pressed at the same time! light beams are not needed. I know there are aftermarket programs that can be fitted ("Mico cut" springs to mind) but these can be hugely expensive and can't be fitted to all models.
I'm just in the process of scaping a perfectly good late 1990s Schneider Senator E-Line over a very expensive circuit board. (that may not be the actual issue)

Very sad.

Your input/thoughts are appreciated. ta Simon

I'm sure there are some old periscope type machines still around, you don't need the electronics or the programming to work for these, in fact I have seen many where the magnetic tape encoder had completely worn out and they were just used as a manual guillotine. There are also a few Eastern European models which had no electronics but had a habit of over-running the cut cycle.

I'm sure there are some old periscope type machines still around, you don't need the electronics or the programming to work for these, in fact I have seen many where the magnetic tape encoder had completely worn out and they were just used as a manual guillotine. There are also a few Eastern European models which had no electronics but had a habit of over-running the cut cycle.
Hi Magnus

Yes I know the sort. I was sort of hoping to get one that at least had working electronics to start with. Who knows I might even retire before they pack up.

thanks for your input. Simon

We used these guys to repair our circuit board on our cutter when the board died. I would highly recommend you give them a call. We had our cutter back up and running in like 4 days after calling them. Overnighted the part, they specialize in 1 or 2 day service, and they overnighted the part back. I think you're in NZ or Australia, but I think you could still save a lot of money by using them and repairing their board.

This was few years back when they were called C&P Microsystems. I believe they developed the Microcut.

We used these guys to repair our circuit board on our cutter when the board died. I would highly recommend you give them a call. We had our cutter back up and running in like 4 days after calling them. Overnighted the part, they specialize in 1 or 2 day service, and they overnighted the part back. I think you're in NZ or Australia, but I think you could still save a lot of money by using them and repairing their board.

This was few years back when they were called C&P Microsystems. I believe they developed the Microcut.
thanks . I'll get in contact with them.

Look around for a used EBA. The one I have isn't programmable (didn't have the money back then) it has power back gauge and digital readout. Most people want a programmable now, so you should be able to get a good price for a nice used one as a backup.

Look around for a used EBA. The one I have isn't programmable (didn't have the money back then) it has power back gauge and digital readout. Most people want a programmable now, so you should be able to get a good price for a nice used one as a backup.
Hi TJ. Yes I have a small "ideal" here (same as the EBA). It's ok but was looking for something a bit heavier duty. They are certainly a lot cheaper than Polars, Wohlenbergs etc... as a backup it would probably be fine. I have heard the larger ones (720mm cut) are particular week in there cutting/clamping force. Can anyone shed some light? ta Simon

Hi, Where are you located? What size cutter are you looking for? I have a 1991 Polar 115 EMC monitor and Polar 72 with Microcut for sale.

Yes, You're too far. Oh well. What's your problem with the Senator cutter?
According to the error fault code it is one of the circuit boards. No one seems to be able to fix this circuit board. It is a squillion $$$ for a new board. Basically, the blue reset light comes on and stays on ever time the buttons are pushed in. ta Simon

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back