Hamada E47

splashdesignz

What a way to end a week. 1st let me say that I am 4 1/2 hours from any service tech, which certainly makes things like this harder than need be.
The intermediate Drive Gear bushing has gone bad on the main head of my Hamada E47. I'm wondering if this is a fix we can do without having to pay a service tech or if this is something I should bite the bullet on and have him come all this way to fix.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Angela

Angela,

This will sound awfully trite, but like Henry Ford said, If you think you can or if you think you can't your probably right. But seriously it depends on the mechanical skill set that you or your employees have. But there should be a local machine shop or freelance mechanic/machinists that should be able to help you out. My brother and I do 90% of the repairs in our shop - we just don't work on our heidelbergs but the hamadas, chiefs, folders, kluges, and everything else we just take care of ourselves. Like I said it depends on your skill set. So if you don't think you can I wouldn't even attempt it.

good luck

Some other things to consider.

Some other things to consider.

Angela makes a great deal of sense.

Other things to consider are how much down time can you afford? Using the service tech may bring the bushing in faster. Is there a local machine shop that can promptly make the bushing for you? Is the bushing mounted as a slip fit or a press fit? If a press fit, it may be that it can be driven out with an appropriate centering tool. But can the frame take the pounding without risk of cracking it? If not, the machine shop can make some simple devices for drawing and driving the bushing out and in, using along bolt or threaded rod. But how does that compare to the cost of the tech?

Food for thought.

Al

Thank you

Thank you

Thanks for the suggestions. Working with a local machinist to make the bushing after discussing with my tech. This solution will be far more palatable than paying him to come out to fix it.
Again thank you for your input.
Angela

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back