Heidelberg in merger talks with Manroland

Cory Smith

From Print CEO this morning:
Bloomberg is reporting Heidelberger Druckmaschinen AG is in merger talks with manroland AG. Bloomberg cites a report in German financial paper Platow Brief. In comments to Bloomberg, Matthias Hartung, spokesman for Heidelberger Druck stated, “These are market rumors and we don’t comment on market rumors.” Manroland declined to comment.

Allianz, a German insurer, has a 65% stake in manroland and a 12% stake in Heidelberger Druck. Heidelberger Druck stock closed at 4.90 euros, a 5.8% increase, for its highest close in 6 weeks.
Print CEO - Printing Industry News and Opinion – Heidelberg in merger talks with Manroland

I think with this merger no merging company would get anything extraordinary. We all know that both these companies are among the topmost companies of this industry, But sharing technologies would do something, we all know that heidelberg machines are best, but roland machines ar not much behind frm that of heidelberg. I thing Man Roland will be more profitable in this deal

Regards
Lokesh Sarawgi

I spoke to both companies today about it and both think it's just the same old rumour that's been around for the last 4 years

Will Manroland’s sheet-fed business be sold to a Chinese company?

Will Manroland’s sheet-fed business be sold to a Chinese company?

A German magazine is reporting that Shanghai Electric is investigating the purchase of Manroland’s sheet-fed press business. A few more details (plus a link to the German source) are here:

A buyer for Manroland’s sheetfed business?

You have a feeling that something is going to happen here. Heidelberg, manroland, and KBA are all losing money. It makes sense for manroland's web expertise to come together with Heidelberg's sheet fed excellence - but that could then mean 2,500 people out of work from manroland's sheetfed operation. There would seem to be over-capacity in the market - this is certainly one solution! But if the Chinese pick up manroland's press manufacturing expertise, are we not then back to square one?

Printers Devil UK

I spoke to both companies today about it and both think it's just the same old rumour that's been around for the last 4 years

A rumor? That's too bad.

I have always dreamed of having my ITB technology on a "mandelberg" press. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Heidelroland would be better. but maybe manberger or manroldelberg.. or since the german government is backing heidelberg. Deutch schnell pressen.

think of all the patents and technologies the new company would have. It would be a killer company.

now announcing the 2010 heidelroland sm106/800xl

Heidelberg-Manroland merger in 4-6 weeks?

Heidelberg-Manroland merger in 4-6 weeks?

A news report today (September 4) from German Reuters says that Allianz (which owns 65% of Manroland and 12% of Heidelberg) is pushing hard for an agreement, and both Heidelberg and Manroland want the merger to go forward.

Here is a translation of a key passage in the report:

The discussions could reach their conclusion in the next four to six weeks, two people close to the negotiations told Reuters on Friday. However, the two firms have not agreed which of them should bear what proportion of the probable job cuts.​

Additional material from the Reuters report is at:

Merger in 4-6 weeks? Sources tell Reuters it could happen

Heidelberg-Manroland: merger discussions confirmed

Heidelberg-Manroland: merger discussions confirmed

The metalworkers’ union IG Metall, which represents factory workers in both companies, attended a special meeting of the Manroland board of directors on September 1. On the following day, the union went public with the issues it had brought up with the board. The key issue is avoiding the closure of Manroland’s Offenbach factory, which produces sheet-fed presses, in the event of a merger.

Several German news organizations attended the union’s public event. You can read a translation of some extracts of their reports here:

Manroland-Heidelberg: the silence is broken and the battle lines are forming

It is now time to stop calling these discussions a “rumor”.

Several German news organizations attended the union’s public event. You can read a translation of some extracts of their reports here:

Manroland-Heidelberg: the silence is broken and the battle lines are forming

It is now time to stop calling these discussions a “rumor”.

Thanks again George for these updates.

In my view, the significant aspect of this mess is that the press manufacturing industry could not have winners and losers based on the scientific and innovative abilities of the different parties.

In this situations, equally unimaginative parties are forced into actions they would not have liked and were powerless to prevent because they could not, no would not look to more innovative ways that come from outside their walls.

Their love of their own technological history and their repulsion of seeking better science has lead them into a situation where they did not know what to do or what they could do.

I think history will show this as just another defensive step that the press manufacturing industry, that refused to rethink its role, has taken as it shrinks further into unimportance.

With these two great stars locked in a downward spiral, forced on them by other interests, it is also a great opportunity for some other press manufacturer to take advantage of the potentials that are available and take some market share. Of course this takes some guts which the other press manufacturers don't seem to have. They too are scared to do anything that they are not used to.

Inkjets get better each year but offset presses still refine a late 19th century press model. Who deserves to win?

Last edited by a moderator:
Heidelberg/Manroland announcement in 2 weeks?

Heidelberg/Manroland announcement in 2 weeks?

A German financial newsletter service, the Platow Brief, is reporting that a merger between Heidelberg and Manroland will be announced in two weeks. The two companies may be waiting until after the German elections (Sept. 27) to make the announcement.

A few more details are here:

Manroland/Heidelberg merger announcement in two weeks?

I guess the Germans have special interest tentacles into the inner-workings of their government just like we do here in the states. I would bet German labor is going to outraged if this turns out to be true.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back