Heildelberg DI 46-4 Classic - Work space needed

Andrew Hanlond

Registered Users
Hi there,

I've just purchased a Heidelberg DI 46-4, and I was wondering how much room should I consider to have a pleasant work space. I'm looking to wall the space allocated, this is why I would want an idea of which side of the machine requires more or less room.

I know the DI is approximately 8 feet by 8 feet, including the stairs to access the tower. If I allow my self 2 feet all around, will I have enough room to do all the maintenance without headaches and room to load and unload the finish product?

Thanks,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

That's not going to be enough especially at the delivery and feeder end.

The only place you might get away with 2 feet is behind the shelves on the operator side of the press. Otherwise you have to keep in mind that you have to move the console away from the press at times for maintenance and certain repairs if required.

You also might want to consider if you'll ever get an envelope feeder in the future. You'll need room for that to attach to the feeder and a conveyor for the delivery.

Someone that stilll has a DI may want to chime in, but I would say the MINIMUM amount of space you'll require is 4-5 feet at the feeder and the same at the delivery. I would also give yourself at least 3-4 feet on the console side and no less than 2 feet on the operator side so you can have room to bleed the cooling system.

Good Luck,
Dave

4' all around should be good. I used to advise that on preinstalls. Happy to answer any questions like that as I've seen quite a few in my time at HDM. Mind you, I was prepress but ran a GTO-DI and understand the DI world.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back