Help! Looking for a campsite near Chicago for Print 09

gordo

Help!

I'm traveling to Chicago for Print 09 in my Eurovan...looks like this:
Van.jpg

The only RV park I can find on the net is a KOA quite far out of Chicago.
Can anyone recommend an RV park that's closer, perhaps not far from a CTA stop?

PS As an alternative, if you are within walking distance from the Cumberland CTA station in Rosemont and wouldn't mind us parking at your house I would much appreciate it!

Let me know at pritchardgordon (@) gmail (dot) com

thx for your help, gordon p

Last edited:
Indiana Dunes State Park is about an hour out. Don't know what you're looking for. Have you considered a Wal-Mart. I know alot of them offer RV camping in their parking lots.

check out Free Campgrounds for RVs to see if there are any in the chicago area.

Indiana Dunes State Park is about an hour out. Don't know what you're looking for. Have you considered a Wal-Mart. I know alot of them offer RV camping in their parking lots.
check out Free Campgrounds for RVs to see if there are any in the chicago area.

Thanks, I'm looking for an RV site that's close to a CTA train station. Doesn't need to be free. Just trying to avoid a 3 hour commute each day to get to and from Print 09.

best, gordo

Hi, Gordo,

Long-time lurker, finally delurking to see if I can help. I have lived in the Chicagoland area most of my life, and I think you're going to have a hard time finding a camping spot within the area serviced by the CTA. I checked Chicago's tourism website and the Chicago Park District's, but I couldn't find any camp sites. Also, Chicago only has one Wal-Mart in its city limits.

Let me suggest that you widen your area to include the counties served by the Metra trains. There is a KOA campsight in Union, IL. Chicago Northwest KOA Campground Home It's out in the country and further out than you'd like to be, but it's about a 20 minute peaceful drive to the Metra train station in Woodstock, IL or in Gilberts, IL. Take the train into the Chicago terminal, about 1 1/2 hours, and then cab or bus over to McCormack Place. Alternatively, you would be close to I-90 to drive in, but you will be battling two hours of traffic each way.

I highly recommend the Metra alternative. It's how I get in to the show myself - I might even see you on the Woodstock train.

Shaja - just so I'm sure what you are recommending to Gordo:
20 min drive to Metra in Woodstock, then 1.5 hrs train to Chicago, then cab or bus. So, you are still looking at 2 hour commute each way?

Shaja - just so I'm sure what you are recommending to Gordo:
20 min drive to Metra in Woodstock, then 1.5 hrs train to Chicago, then cab or bus. So, you are still looking at 2 hour commute each way?

What I'm saying is, if you want to camp and be near public transportation, consider taking the train.

Camping limits your options for a closer commute, but I respect your choice to camp especially with the high costs of hotels downtown. You mentioned the CTA (the transit system within Chicago), but I wasn't sure you knew of Metra, the commuter rail option that is out in the suburbs and collar counties.

So, I'm suggesting two peaceful hours via train & bus (maybe less, if you get an express train) vs. three insane hours driving on the interstate.

Last edited:
if your coming the I 80 route that I suggested earlier. you could stay in at a state park or one of the many camp grounds in Henry county www.visithenrycounty.com (the new website is under development) amtrack comes and goes 4 times daily to chicago. leaves kewanee about 8:00 am and arrive in chicago by 11:00 gets back in kewanee at night like 8:00pm terminates union station
otherwise about a 2.5 hour drive to downtown. 1 hour on I55 will be with traffic the rest easy driving.

try these.

Starved Rock State Park - Starved Rock State Park closer to chicago less traffic.

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
Leland IL​
[/FONT][/FONT]
Hi-Tide Recreation​
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
815-495-9032,​
[/FONT]4611 E 22nd Rd, Leland IL 60531

Campgrounds,​
[/FONT]Primitive to full hookups.

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]

Earlville IL​
[/FONT][/FONT]
Stonehouse Park Inc​

815-246-9732,​
[/FONT]3719 Suydam Rd,Earlville IL 60518

Campgrounds,​
[/FONT]http://www.stonehousepark.com/
Maple Leaf Park

815-246-6200​
[/FONT], 1318 E US 34, Earlville IL 60518
Campgrounds.
http://www.mapleleafpark.com
Shabbona Lake State Park

815-824-2565​
[/FONT], 100 Preserve Road, Shabbona, IL 60550.
Campgrounds.
http://www.shabbonalake.com

Rob, Thanks for all the suggestions.

Right now I'm leaning to the KOA on the northside - it's a 50 minute drive to the Cumberland CTA station at Cumberland and Higgins Rd in Rosemont where there appears to be a car park where I can leave the van and jump onto the CTA to get to the show fairly quickly.

I'll keep your suggestions as back up if Plan A goes sideways on me.

And yes, I'll be taking the route to Chicago that you originally suggested.

thanks, gordon p

Just wanted to make sure that you know that the CTA blue line doesn't go directly to McCormick Place. You'll have to transfer. Maps and travel planners are at Deprecated Browser Error

Thanks for the heads-up Shaja,

Yes, I know. I've been to the show many times - but usually stayed at a downtown hotel (courtesy of my former employer Creo/Kodak). I'll likely take the CTA to the station closest to McCormick then just walk from there.

thx, gordon p

Gordo -

I live on the north side of Chicago.
There is a Metra station in McCormick Place that you can access from one of the main stations called Millenium Park. That should be your destination.

Metra / Electric Line Schedules

However, if you take the Metra from the north (WI), you will arrive at Ogilvie Station on the city's west side - 10 blocks west of Millenium Station.

Here is a list of camp sites in Northeast IL DNR

Camping in Chicago Chicago Sun-Times: jump local: Camping around Chicago

Camp Chicago: a guide to Chicago area tent camping

Metra - Metra System Map

If you looked at the camp sites SW of the city, you could drive to University Park, get on the Metra and it would stop IN McCormick Place thus offering a level of simplification that may be desirable.

I look forward to meeting you.
Ian

Thanks Ian,

I'll be easy to recognize as I'll likely finally arrive during the last hour of the last day of the show - clutching a burnt out GPS unit, covered in bus and train schedules and reeking of campfire smoke! LOL

gordo

Oh boy! Chicago is so much fun. I have a directions on getting to satisfaction and McCormick Place. Cock the hammer, place gun to head, pull trigger.

Gordo -

I live on the north side of Chicago.

Hey Gordo/Ian. Any reason you can't park in Ian's Driveway? Easy way for Ian to earn some extra cash and you can ride with him to the show......

Just a thought

(I'm now Gordo's best friend and Ian's arch nemesis) LOL

Last edited:
Ox -

Hardly.....I sense that Gordo likes a good verbal sparring session every bit as much as I do.
I am pleased to report that my company, Chromaticity, has just merged with FineEye. It will be a great ride.

Oh, and there are no driveways in Chicago, just alleys and garages. Otherwise, I believe your idea to be quite logical and hospitable. But, if I had the parking space, Gordo would need to only bring good cheer as payment...;-)

Ian

good luck gordo. so many options so little time. some localities have laws that prohibit parking boats and campers on your property.

I am now ensconced, at Ian's suggestion, in the Leaning Tower YMCA in North Chicago.
I get free admission to the gym where I can work out in preparation for my discussions with Ian at ChromaFineEye.

best, gordo

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back