Help!!! Moving Desktop

MJNC

Good Morning PrintPlanet folk...
Major bad! New thing since starting my Mac G5Dual this morning...
I move the mouse anywhere and the WHOLE DESKTOP MOVES! Never seen anything like it. It seems as if the desktop exceeds the display size of the monitor... as the mouse moves closer to any side of the screen, the whole desktop moves to show that complete edge. Mouse over to the other side and the whole desktop moves as you go across until you see that next complete side (make sense? Hard to explain...)
I tried changing the pixel resolution in the Control Panel; it doesn’t seem to care what size you set... the whole thing still moves. And I have rebooted several times.
Does anyone know how to fix such a thing? Or know how this could have happened over night while the machine was off?
I got that Humble Pie, 30 Days in the Hole “Movin’ Dancefloor” line playing over and over in my head...
Thanks in Advance for whatever ya got for me! Peace to all who live on the PrintPlanet!
_mjnc

Go into the Universal Access section of System Preferences and check if you have Zoom turned on. If you do, turn it off.

Last edited:
Ta Da!

Ta Da!

Thanks OxBurger;
That did the trick... And you ROCK the Print Planet! I knew I would get a real answer here.
Happy Best Holiday of the Year, y’all! Have a great time and go home Safe!
Peace to the PrintPlanet!
_mjnc

Incidentally, zoom can be turned on and off by using command-option-8, so I'm guessing at some point you hit those keys and turned it on inadvertently.....

If you have the zoom feature turned on, you can quickly zoom in and out by holding the control key and using the scroll wheel. It's a setting you can define in the universal access preference pane, but I think this is the default. I find it very useful. You can quickly zoom in on an area of the screen (if zooming without getting higher pixel resolution is sufficient). If I have a computer spending a long time processing something, I'll zoom in until the progress bar or spinning wheel nearly fills the screen, then I can work on something else on a different machine and see when the first machine is done by looking at the monitor from across the room. You can also use the screen edge as a sort of ruler. For example, to quickly determine if two objects are aligned on the left edge, you can zoom in and move the mouse until the left edges are nearly clipped by the screen edge. The accuracy is limited to the distance represented by a monitor pixel when zoomed all the way out. I also zoom in a lot when cleaning up PDF's with Pitstop. If I turn the black ink off and see that a line of small text looks like it's 4 color black, I zoom in using the OS zoom and then I can see if the text is really dark blue instead of black. I think all the processing is done by the graphics card, so it is much faster than zooming with the application, which requires a redraw, or even clicking on the text to see the color in the Pitstop inspector window.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back