Help testing a electrical plug for air pump.

Apphoard

I am running a Heidelberg sm52 that has no air blast for the Venturi infeed. I know the pump is not hooked up with a hose and as far as I know does not come on. That is something I have to check. But I was thinking maybe it was overlooked and not hooked up when the press was installed. So I wanted to test the plug and make sure it is getting power to it before I ordered a new pump. I was hoping somebody could tell me how to do this. The plug has 6 to 9 prongs that run in a line. I have little to no experience when it comes to electrical lol. But I do run another sm52 that has the same pump and probably the same plug that is working. I would just like to know how to go about checking it without shorting something out. Also if you guys could tell me what the hot is and ground. Thanks for your help guys!

Hey App - haven't done much work on SM52, but if it's similar to SM74, and equipped with an Ametek blower, it's likely that if the plug is visibly in place the motor should be getting its voltage. It should be a 220 volt single phase motor, and not too difficult to determine the two hot lugs to ground. Given you have another 52 you can use for reference, be sure that you know when the blower is energized, ie does the feeder have to be engaged, the main compressor on, etc

Hey App - haven't done much work on SM52, but if it's similar to SM74, and equipped with an Ametek blower, it's likely that if the plug is visibly in place the motor should be getting its voltage. It should be a 220 volt single phase motor, and not too difficult to determine the two hot lugs to ground. Given you have another 52 you can use for reference, be sure that you know when the blower is energized, ie does the feeder have to be engaged, the main compressor on, etc

Thanks for your help junker. The blower is one of those cylinder shaped ones that hang, like they use in the delivery. I guess it is possible also that it is getting power and just not working? I will not short anything out poking around in the plug with my meter will I ? Or should not correct?

Hey App-just set your meter to AC voltage, and you can rest assured you won't short anything out. Like I said earlier, not sure what prerequisites have to be met to energize motor, but once determined, look for 220V AC. If you have a local electrician with knowledge of schematics and control voltage, you should pbly have him come in to verify, before you buy a new blower...they're very expensive.

If you are talking about the blower cans that control the slow downs and the blow in the delivery it is probably shot. We usually only get a couple of years out of them. They get nailed pretty heavy with spray powder and usually work intermittently. Pretty stupid the way they are built to be a throw away item. They are a totally sealed unit and can not be taken apart without damage. The price of them things has doubled in the last few years since Heidelberg became a parts store instead of a press dealer.

You could try to go to Ametek directly and see if they sell the blower motor and by-pass Heidelberg parts. The same goes for the Centoplex 500 grease. Just go to Google and take a look around. It amazes me how much information can be found by doing a simple search. By the way did you have any better luck running 50lb offset.

You could try to go to Ametek directly and see if they sell the blower motor and by-pass Heidelberg parts. The same goes for the Centoplex 500 grease. Just go to Google and take a look around. It amazes me how much information can be found by doing a simple search. By the way did you have any better luck running 50lb offset.

Ok I am sorry guys, I think I was looking at the wrong pump. I do not run this press full time. The owner is cheap and does not want to pay to fix it either. It is the blast pump for the Venturi infeed. I believe it is under the feed table enclosed in that area where you cannot see it. Do any of you guys know much about that pump? Or know if its one of those disposable pumps? Maybe I can just change the vanes in this one and get it back up and running I am hoping.

Are you talking about the pump that provides the vacuum for the feed head and registration board? If so the pump should be under the catwalk near the chiller. It has 7 vanes in it. The Heidelberg ones are real pricy but you can find them local for around a hundred bucks. It is pretty simple to take apart if it is the pump I think. just a couple of screws and the end pops off.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back