Help this print customer out...

I publish reference books on uncoated paper. Legibility and print quality are important because some text is rather small. The active lifespan of these books is anywhere from 7 to 10 years. After that people keep them indefinitely, so they're not disposable like a phone or map book.

Recently, I solicited bids and one place came back 25% cheaper than everybody else. They told me they run "Xerox 700 presses". Today, a sample arrived in the mail. For the most part, not too bad, except the B/W halftones look terrible (HP Laserjet quality). In other places, the blacks weren't too crisp.

Even if these issues could be resolved (is it possible?) would I be making a terrible mistake by going this route? I don't want to find toner smudges, either now, or years down the road since these books will be heavily (ab)used. Never been a problem in the past, but then again, my books used to be printed with an offset sheet-fed Heidelberg.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Selecting a new printing company is always very stressful.

Thanks!

Recently, I solicited bids and one place came back 25% cheaper than everybody else. They told me they run "Xerox 700 presses". Today, a sample arrived in the mail. For the most part, not too bad, except the B/W halftones look terrible (HP Laserjet quality). In other places, the blacks weren't too crisp.

What you saw was likely what you'll get. Why not ask for a few pages of print outs of your artwork as samples - rather than samples of someone else's unknown originals?

best, gordon p

Long term though, should I be concerned with the durability of the print quality?

I understand that Xerox machines (like this one) are toner-based. If the toner process is anything like that of an HP Laserjet printer, the durability is probably terrible?

Remember though, that with a book of this type, with the durability that you're expecting, its not just about the print quality.
You should also be looking at the binding quality. The norm for this type of book would be for it to be sewn or PUR bound I would also recommend that you ask your suppliers for samples of bound books.
IMHO you should be taking this into consideration when making your decision regarding where you place your work.

I've not run into complications with digital prints and durability, but I suppose a long lifespan for our publications would be 2-3 years.

The only issue would be toner coming off (smudging) due to insufficient fusing pressure / temperature. That can be controlled by making your printer aware of your concerns and ensuring that his machinery is properly maintained.

I agree with Gordo that you should be more concerned about binding quality than deteriorating image. Printing on a digital press would mean binding loose leaves, which tend to come apart if mishandled. If you are printing on anything but bond paper, PUR binding should be a non-negotiable prerequisite.

Remember though, that with a book of this type, with the durability that you're expecting, its not just about the print quality.
You should also be looking at the binding quality. The norm for this type of book would be for it to be sewn or PUR bound I would also recommend that you ask your suppliers for samples of bound books.
IMHO you should be taking this into consideration when making your decision regarding where you place your work.

Oddly enough, I used PUR once and my customers still prefer the Plasticoil.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back