Help understanding RIP software

arcon5

about rip...

Just wondering, I don't fully understand the whole purpose of RIP..

If there was a mismatch between the photos ICC type and what the printer was printing would the RIP s'ware sync this?
For example, my image is sRGB and the printer is set to printer colou manage and Adobe RGB then would the RIP overwrite this as per the selection in the software...??

I.e. would this resolve colour management complications?

Many thanks

I think if you want to understand the purpose at a basic level, a RIP's job is to take the PDF or postscript you send it and convert it to raster data for use by the output device.

I'm not sure whether you are referring to a RIP connected to a color copier/laser printer or one connected to an imagesetter or platesetter. In both cases, the hardware and software take the information you feed it and prepare it for the output device.

In the case of a RIP system connected to an imagesetter or platesetter, the RIP takes raster and vector data, color separates it, screens it and converts it into bitmapped images for the output device.

That's the core functionality.
Most RIP's also include other features some of which include (depending on configuration)
Job Management
Preflighting
Color Management
Imposition Functionality

Hope that helps.

Some other features would be trapping, AM, FM, or Hybrid screening.

Many of the newer CTP/CTF devices have "TIFF Catcher" interfaces so they can accept input from any software that can produce a suitable TIFF file. So in those situations a true RIP wouldn't be necessary.

Some other features would be trapping, AM, FM, or Hybrid screening.

Many of the newer CTP/CTF devices have "TIFF Catcher" interfaces so they can accept input from any software that can produce a suitable TIFF file. So in those situations a true RIP wouldn't be necessary.

No, if you feed a raster image, it basically means you've already RIPped your data. So you still need something rasterizing (e.g. a RIP) but at a different point in your workflow.

Once I get the correct settings to get the correct output from computer (PS) to printer (large format HP) I don't want staff to mess it all up again.

I have A hp z2100 24", z2100 44" and z3100 24" and in January buying in 2x cannon printers (hopefully a 60" :D). Sending to print entales selecting the right paper type corresponding to the correct printer (I have created a new paper preset for each printer) and checking all the right settings - this is very hard to train staff!!

What software would I use in which they can drag and drop style images to and select a printer and paper size and send to the selected printer with pre-entered info without all the messing around at the moment???????

What software would do this and manage colour?

Just wondering, I don't fully understand the whole purpose of RIP..

On your last post you describe a reason why you need a RIP. Any RIP that supports multiple output devices can help you. To name a few, EFI Colorproof XF (or Fiery XF), Oris Colortuner, GMG Colorproof....Focus on the options each one offers, the cost, the training required/provided.

Lots of Questions, lots of answers....

Lots of Questions, lots of answers....

Once I get the correct settings to get the correct output from computer (PS) to printer (large format HP) I don't want staff to mess it all up again.

<!--- snip --!>

What software would I use in which they can drag and drop style images to and select a printer and paper size and send to the selected printer with pre-entered info without all the messing around at the moment???????

What software would do this and manage colour?

Hi there,

So, if I understand you properly - you have images, and you have different printers. You would like to preset folders - or queues - with logical names - that direct them to a specific device.

Now, I will assume that these are somehow sized properly, and you are expecting one image to be on one sheet, or (perhaps) multiple copies of that same image on a single sheet?

COMPOSE SYSTEM LIMITED

or if you are doing some heavy handed automated image processing (like adding sharening or color conversions to sepia tone;

COMPOSE SYSTEM LIMITED

- and we are not speaking of somehow ganging up multiple images of different sizes - where I might have a mix of "this PNG file is 4x5 with no profile embedded" and "this TIFF file is 3.5x2, has an sRGB profile" and the ole "this JPEG file is supposed to be 4x5 at 300ppi, but is actually 12.5 x 15.625 because it is 96ppi" - are you with me ?

Because if that is the case, then you need more than Compose PhotoSumo...

[email protected]

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back