Help! Upgraded to G5 system 10.5.6, now Acrobat 7-Pitstop 7.22 is a nightmare.

Bansheei

Hi guys!

Ive been working away for 3-4 years on a reliable G4 Mac, Running Acrobat 7 and Pitstop 7.22 like a dream.

We have upgraded to a G5 with 10 gig of RAM trying to run Acrobat 7 and Pitstop 7.22.

Why does it behave badly? Start up takes a long time and then actually working on the pdfs or saving then takes 5 minutes + to actually process when it should take seconds.

Do we have to upgrade to Acrobat 9-Pistop9?

Or is it supposed to be compatible with AC7 PIT7 and work fine?

:confused:

We have upgraded to a G5 with 10 gig of RAM trying to run Acrobat 7 and Pitstop 7.22.
You are upgrading today with a G5??? so it is a second-hand G5 (because G5 are discontinued since now about 3 years)?

... or did you mean that you upgrade to a MacPro, which has almost the same look than the G5, and is often confused with the G5???

If you really have a G5, no idea...

... but if it is a MacPro, it uses an Intel processor, thought Acrobat 7 has been developped for a PPC processor... so, Acrobat 7 has to run with the Rosetta emulation mode, which is effectively desperately slow, especially with CS2 softwares which are very "heavy" and need many power and plenty of RAM...

... to fix your problem, the best solution is to update your softwares to have Intel-running softwares:
- either a (second-hand) Acrobat 8, and you can go on with your PitStop 7.22,
- or a CS4 / Acrobat 9, and you have to upgrade to PitStop 9.

Thanks guys!

i will upgrade to Acrobat9>Pitstop9.
Yeah they bought me a second hand G5 with lots of guts.

We are a small company so we are (the prepress department) is always way behind with the times :(

Yeah they bought me a second hand G5 with lots of guts.
??? sorry, I cannot help: your PPC softwares are adapted to your G5, and G5 is faster than G4 (especially with 10 GB RAM), so you should not experience such problems!!! :confused::confused::confused:

We are a small company...
Me to! but I try to keep my DTP computer not too far away "behind with the times"... :rolleyes:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back