Help with 32pt business cards

Hello Everyone!

I'm looking for some information about how the production method people are using for 32pt business cards. In the past I have been using spray tack to adhere the sheets. It works fine but registering the sheets is sometimes inconsistent. Does anyone have any methods they can share about making sure everything lines up. I'm using a square ruler and its good enough but there has got to be a better method available.

Thank you for your input.

Option (4) is best in my book.

This applies to anything "different and difficult" that your shop cannot currently produce... unless it is going to represent significant and frequent ongoing demand. That way, you're still fulfilling your customer's requirements, without considerable time and investment in new processes.

Option 2 is not the correct model as the SA-1420 SPL doesn't actually glue the sheets. It just presses 2 sheets together after one has been applied with glue. The better option would be the SA-1420.
We have the R Gluer from Glue Machinery Corp. It applies a cold adhesive to the sheet and works really well. We just don't have a good way at registering and pressing the sheets together. Which is why we don't really offer this as a service. Also clean up usually takes longer than it takes to run the actual job. Something like the ThermoType machine may be a really good fit. It just depends on how much of that business you do.

Is anybody familiar with the Thermotype option, at least enough to give a ballpark idea on what that machine runs price-wise. I'm curious - but not curious enough to contact a salesperson about it. :) Is it a $5k-10k machine or a $30-$50k setup?

Is anybody familiar with the Thermotype option, at least enough to give a ballpark idea on what that machine runs price-wise. I'm curious - but not curious enough to contact a salesperson about it. :) Is it a $5k-10k machine or a $30-$50k setup?
Expensive 30-50

For small quantities we use large rolls (44" wide) of 2 sided adhesive and a home made jig. For larger quantities we print and send out to a trade house for litho laminating.

I used some of the Convertible Solutions paper to make some thicker cards like 32pt. They turned out well, but you have to have a machine that can handle really good registration sheet to sheet, otherwise your front/back will look a little off center. The "loft" cards have a really nice feel to them. Plus you don't need extra equipment if you already have a digital printer and a guillotine.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back