Hi solids ink sets

Lukew

The term high solids or 100% solids in relation to ink sets what does it mean?
Is it a simple term that reflects that the ink contains zero petroleum solvent or is there more to it ?
You see some ink sets that have less then 3% VOC not using the term high solids, others with less then 3% voc stating high solids, and others with less then 3% stating 100% solids.

Obviously solvents wouldn't be classified as solids, but what about the like's of linseed oil ?

I asked the Saphira rep if their ink was classified as high solids and he didn't know what I was talking about.

At a guess it means that there are no ingredients in the ink that will evaporate during the drying process AKA petroleum solvents

Solids mmm

Solids mmm

LukeW,

How could you print with Hi Solids! Just a bamboozle word for High Pigmented Inks. The small amount

of Magie 470 heat set oil (solvent) in quickset sheetfed litho inks, is absorbed by the paper not evaporated.

Linseed Oil is part of the Oleo resinous varnish ink vehicle.

PDF - Composition of Litho Inks

Regards, Alois

Attachments

• Composition of Printing Inks181.pdf
    915.7 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
Pot of Gold

Pot of Gold

LukeW

A story from my Childhood: - At the end of a Rainbow was a Pot of Gold

I see you believe in fairy stories !

Regards, Alois

LukeW

A story from my Childhood: - At the end of a Rainbow was a Pot of Gold

I see you believe in fairy stories !

Regards, Alois

Not sure what your problem is ?
All I have done is ask the question regarding to what makes an ink "high solids or 100% solids". Obviously there must be a reason, I'm sure the ink companies haven't just made the term up for fun. Was hoping one of the ink techs would chime in with an answer.

If you search there are many ink companies that use the term "high solids" for their ink set. As for your answer of it meaning high pigment levels - If thats the case why is there one high solids ink set available that contains low - med pigment levels

Searching further and looking at ink veichles supplied to ink manufacturers there are ones that are called high solids.

Perhaps it's a simple meaning and stands for zero petroleum solvent in the ink, and is just a fancy marketing term.

Hurrah !!!

Hurrah !!!

LukeW,

Hip - Hip Hurrah ! - I knew you would get there in the end.

"Hi-Solids" - just a fancy marketing term

Regards, Alois

The term High Solids refers to inks that contain minimal VOC (Volatile Oraginic Compounds) when tested using ASTM D6419, Standard Test Method for Determining Volatile Content of Sheetfed and Coldset Web Printing Inks. This test requires that a specific amount of ink be weighed and placed in an oven set at 110C for 1-hour. When taken out of the oven the sample is weighed and a calculation is made to determine the % volatiles that came off.

Sheetfed inks typically contain anywhere from 30% down to 0% VOCs. The VOCs are typically the result of petroleum based products contained in the ink. Linseed, soya oil and tung (Chinawood) oil would contain 0 VOC.

Today high solids inks are used for printing on many paper substrates, but are almost always used when printing on synthetic or plastic stocks.

The term High Solids refers to inks that contain minimal VOC (Volatile Oraginic Compounds) when tested using ASTM D6419, Standard Test Method for Determining Volatile Content of Sheetfed and Coldset Web Printing Inks. This test requires that a specific amount of ink be weighed and placed in an oven set at 110C for 1-hour. When taken out of the oven the sample is weighed and a calculation is made to determine the % volatiles that came off.

Sheetfed inks typically contain anywhere from 30% down to 0% VOCs. The VOCs are typically the result of petroleum based products contained in the ink. Linseed, soya oil and tung (Chinawood) oil would contain 0 VOC.

Today high solids inks are used for printing on many paper substrates, but are almost always used when printing on synthetic or plastic stocks.

Thank you for the reply & info.
I would assume that "LASER INKS" OR LASER SAFE what every you want to call it, would be a high solid ink, with the addition of high temp wax or less wax then a standard ink set.

Not necessarily. Laser inks only require that the resin and waxes used can withstand the operating temperature of the particular laser unit they are being run through. Although there are laser safe inks that are near 100% solids, there are others that are lower.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back