High bulk reply card stock problems

RJd

Hey all. I was wondering if any of you run any 7 point reply card stock (uncoated) that runs clean! i have used 3 different mills now, and all contain debris (silica i'm being told) that gets up to the plate and causes squiggles. If left go, these things will burrow around on the plate surface like a miniature rabid gopher, and eventually leave tracks in the blankets. Just looking for some feedback on what brands might be out there that do not contain sand, etc.
thanks
rjd

Running on heatset web perfecter, 4 over 4 process. We are running a pretty low tack on the ink as it is used to run 38# super cal as well, so I dont think the tack is the issue. Also have the problem on coldset - hard cylinder press. No rhyme or reason to which unit. They all get it. Sometimes perfed, sometimes not. One mill blamed the problem on sawdust from lumber mills that they are buying as a pulp ingredient with sand in it. They solved the problem for about 2 runs of paper, then it came back. No other stock i run has this issue. Have the proble with lincoln, GP, and domtar.
rjd

Yeah its been a while since I've run a press but I remember this stuff well. I've ran 28# offset stock 1 color on a 4 unit press, (heatset) here we had the ability to run an open unit with a "wet" plate, in a sense we were cleaning the web with a slight amount of water and it realy helped keeping the paper clean, reduced piling, etc.... As far as those "squiggles" I remember seeing those and I think we rid them with running that wet unit. The wet unit can use the either the back side of a plate or a fully processed plate with NO image on it. If you can try it, go ahead, if not contact mill again or try another brand.

Good luck, hope I helped a little.

Scott

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back