hole drilling

wentworth

Hi guys,

I realise each print shop might have there own preferences. But what would you
consider a pretty standard/acceptable way of indicating in a press ready pdf file, where a hole should be drilled? For example say for a 3mm hole on 50x50mm wedding favor tags.

Most common format we get supplied with is a small crosshair mark to mark the centre of the hole.

We add overprinting spot color "Die" to the pdf. Usually made with odd color to the work (magenta or green).

Solid dot at size or crosshair, in a non-printing color or on a non-printing layer in the file. Most often though, you could send a low resolution PDF with marks for position and leave them off the production file. This avoids accidental inclusion in the printed pieces for whatever reason (Murphy's Law, etc. :D )

:eek:
Solid dot at size or crosshair, in a non-printing color or on a non-printing layer in the file. Most often though, you could send a low resolution PDF with marks for position and leave them off the production file. This avoids accidental inclusion in the printed pieces for whatever reason (Murphy's Law, etc. :D )

Thanks everyone for the replies.
From the printers perspective, do they then print a template with the non printing layers and use it as the first piece in the stack to drill through?

:eek:

Thanks everyone for the replies.
From the printers perspective, do they then print a template with the non printing layers and use it as the first piece in the stack to drill through?

We do - it just helps the bindery guys put everything in place.

Thanks guys. So glad i found these forums, its great getting opinions and knowledge from experienced people. It really helps to see the full picture and understand how & why i need to do it instead of just doing it, and probably wrong.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back