Horizon BQ 260 running cool

white rabbit

Hello all,
Our perfect binder wont heat the glue above about 315 deg. F. All the relays and electrical stuff appears to function, but the machine turns off the heater too soon. I have considered the thermostat, but the drum heater shuts off early too,and it is controlled by a seperate sensor.
Anyone have any thoughts on this ?

Thanks for your time,
B

Please contact your local Standard dealer, or call the Standard Finishing Systems technical service hotline 800-526-4774, extension 5. We'll do our best to help you solve this.

I assume you are checking temps with an IR sensor "gun" something like this one. HDE Temperature Gun Infrared Thermometer w/ Laser Sight: Science Lab Digital Thermometers: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific Aiming it directly at the glue drum or the glue pot in different areas will show different temps.

If aiming at the same spot on the glue drum the temps shown will obviously vary due to the drum heater cycling on and off while trying to stay at the temp set with the glue drum thermal sensor (the operator adjustable temp control). You will also see temperature swings when checking the glue drum when it's stationary as opposed to the glue drum turning.

I don't recall if the 50*F swing is normal or not, but I wouldn't consider it unusual since the drum heater is chasing it's thermal control setting and the drum may be going from non-rotating to rotating.

I have seen one other thing affect high power draw items (such as glue pots and 3-phase milling motors) and that is if the machine is on the same electrical circuit with another high power draw machine. Such as a digital printer with a fuser, or with a shrink tunnel/sealer.

All of those things together on the same electrical circuit usually causes voltage drops that reduce power to a given machine. This is really noticeable if those machines mentioned above are all trying to heat at once. Meaning, fuser on, shrink tunnel on, glue heat on, etc. Since all these items cycle on and off, they can make for larger temperature swings.

Last edited:
I assume you are checking temps with an IR sensor "gun" something like this one. HDE Temperature Gun Infrared Thermometer w/ Laser Sight: Science Lab Digital Thermometers: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific Aiming it directly at the glue drum or the glue pot in different areas will show different temps.

If aiming at the same spot on the glue drum the temps shown will obviously vary due to the drum heater cycling on and off while trying to stay at the temp set with the glue drum thermal sensor (the operator adjustable temp control). You will also see temperature swings when checking the glue drum when it's stationary as opposed to the glue drum turning.

I don't recall if the 50*F swing is normal or not, but I wouldn't consider it unusual since the drum heater is chasing it's thermal control setting and the drum may be going from non-rotating to rotating.

I have seen one other thing affect high power draw items (such as glue pots and 3-phase milling motors) and that is if the machine is on the same electrical circuit with another high power draw machine. Such as a digital printer with a fuser, or with a shrink tunnel/sealer.

All of those things together on the same electrical circuit usually causes voltage drops that reduce power to a given machine. This is really noticeable if those machines mentioned above are all trying to heat at once. Meaning, fuser on, shrink tunnel on, glue heat on, etc. Since all these items cycle on and off, they can make for larger temperature swings.

I have been using a digital (cooking) thermometer. Will this give me bogus readings ?
Thanks for your time and info.
B

I have been using a digital (cooking) thermometer. Will this give me bogus readings ?
Thanks for your time and info.
B

With a cooking style thermometer you have to dunk it in the glue or hold it on the drum, right? Believe it or not, Horizon uses a "cooking" style thermometer mounted in the glue tank of the BQ270 perfect binders. It is a dial type, not digital.

Any thermometer that is low end like a common cooking thermometer or even a low end IR temp sensor gun probably won't be calibrated to true temperatures, but should be good for getting you in range regarding glue pots. What I like about the IR temp sensors is you don't have to get glue on them for them to read temperature. :D

Really all you want to do is try and get your glue pot in the temp range suggested by the maker of the glue you are using.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back