How are Model decals made, Digital?

acacia print

Does anyone know how are Model decals are made?

I have a client that is producing Model Railway waggons and he has given us the printing to do for him. We can supply everthing except the Model's water transferable decals....

These decals are the sort that you soak in water then slip onto your model and leave them to dry in place. I am hopeing that I can either find a supplier to out sourse these too or to find a production method that works for these. It would have to be digital as he has a very small limited production run for each train carridge as these are replica's of New Zealand historical waggons etc...

An interesting problem to fix...:D

Does anyone know how are Model decals are made?

I have a client that is producing Model Railway waggons and he has given us the printing to do for him. We can supply everthing except the Model's water transferable decals....

Any well stocked model train hobbyist shop will have the decal substrate which is printed using a standard inkjet printer. Preferably one that uses waterproof inks.

best, gordo

Thanks Gordo. I suppose then that if I could track down some of this stuff locally that I could utilise the local Sign shops ink jet (Rolland wide format)...?

Thanks Gordo. I suppose then that if I could track down some of this stuff locally that I could utilise the local Sign shops ink jet (Rolland wide format)...?

Well, I've only seen it in A4 (8.5 x 11") size and printed on an Epson desktop printer using Ultrachrome inks. But you might be able to find the manufacturer listed on the package and contact them for larger sizes if needed.

best, gordo

Model Decals

Model Decals

I would look at UV inkjet. You need digital because the quantities are low and the ability to manage inventory. It is very sensitive material as well -- non contact printing is best.

I went to the local hobby shop today and they sell decal sheets made by Testors.

Here's the link: Testors

best, gordo

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back